Author Topic: BURLEY, Philip - Plymouth, 1871 census  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
BURLEY, Philip - Plymouth, 1871 census
« on: Monday 09 October 17 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone. 

This query follows on as a sideline from another query started here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=772357.0

Although it's something of a distraction, I'm curious about some of the information I've found in a transcription of an 1871 census record.  The background timeline to this query is:

• Philip Froom Burley is born in Exeter in 1833.
  • In 1857 in St Columb Major he marries Ann Clapp, born St Columb Major in 1835.
  • Children born to Philip and Ann are Margaret, 1857 St Columb Major, William John, 1860 St Columb Major, Philip Henry Froom, b 1863 & d 1864 Plymouth and Mary Annie, 1865 Plymouth.
  • The 1861 census shows Philip and Ann with Margaret and William in St Columb Major.
  • In 1864 Philip appears to serve time in Bodmin Gaol.  He is shown as unemployed and having 3 children.
  • Ann Burley dies in Plymouth in 1867.
  • Philip marries Mary Retallick in Plymouth in 1868.  Mary Retallick may be shown on the 1861 census as a servant in the home of George Tulley in Plymouth, age 25 born in St Austell.  There do not appear to any children of this marriage and Mary Burley dies in Plymouth in 1875, age 40.  The age at death suggests she could be Mary Retallick, born 1834 in St Columb Major, daughter of William Retallick.
  • Philip marries Amelia Reid in Plymouth in 1877.  Amelia is a widow born Amelia Tapp in Kingsbridge in 1834 who has had 9 children with her previous husband Isaac Reid, the third child being daughter Frances Amelia Reid born 1863 in Plymouth.
  • Philip and Amelia appear on the 1881 census with Philip's son William (1860), several of Amelia's children including Frances and a child of their own, Ernest Burley, born about 1877 in Plymouth.  Although Ernest also appears on subsequent census records I have not found his birth or baptism record.
  • (As an aside, Philip's son William (1860) and Amelia's daughter Frances are married in Paddington in 1886.)

On familysearch.org I have found the following transcription of the 1871 census (with my notes):

Philip Burley            U      

Emma Burley      Wife Head   F   33   Plymouth, Devonshire (Expected entry: Mary, 37, St Columb Major)

William Burley           Son      M   14   Plymouth, Devonshire (Probable birth year 1856 - who is this?)

Margaret Burley           Daughter   F   13   Plymouth, Devonshire (Aligns with Margaret Burley born 1857, St Columb Major)

John Burley           Son      M   10   Plymouth, Devonshire (Aligns with William John Burley born 1860, St Columb Major)

Mary Ann Burley   Daughter   F   5   Plymouth, Devonshire (Aligns with Mary Annie Burley born 1865, Plymouth)

Freecen.org.uk doesn't have 1871 Devon records transcribed yet.

I searched on FindMyPast for Burley in Plymouth St Andrews and found index records for Emma, William, Margaret, John and Mary Ann but not Philip.

I cannot find this census record on Ancestry and as a result haven't viewed the original document.

The presence of Margaret, (possibly William) John and Mary Ann make it seem this is the right family, but the older William isn't on the 1861 census for Philip and having the wife as Emma age 33 is unexpected.

If anyone can point me at the 1871 census record on Ancestry it would be appreciated.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BURLEY, Philip - Plymouth, 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
Lovely transcription!!

Try searching under Emma Burry or Philip Builey

Glen

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 17 08:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Glen - that'd be the one.

Much appreciated!

One for the "Worst Transcription" thread I think.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 October 17 09:31 BST (UK) »
The image has Philip crossed out, suggesting he wasn't there on the night - score one FindMyPast for not including him.

Other than that, the transcriptions reflect the image in terms of names and ages - the woman's name is clearly Emma age 33, although her birthplace seems to be Plympton as opposed to Plymouth recorded for the children.

I don't think seeing the image has made the information it contains any clearer, but at least I can say I viewed it.  ???

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 July 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just completely stumbled upon this thread of yours last October, and I am quite curious if you got the information you were looking for.

I am a descendant of Amelia & her rather colourful husband, Isaac. I am also aware that after Isaac, died, somewhat prematurely, Amelia was remarried, to the chap you were looking for, Phillip Burley. I don't have a huge amount of information on him specifically, but thought I'd let you know of my familiarity of him, in case I could help with anything.

One thing that has really caught my eye in your post is the marriage of Isaac's daughter Frances to her (hoping I've got this right) step brother!!  :o as  I'd completely lost track of this particular Daughter. Could you expand on this at all please as I couldn't find any record of her marriage when I was trying to conclude her story.

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 July 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
new GRO index

Ernest REED registered Plymouth December Quarter 1876, Vol. 05B page 240 mothers maiden name TAPP.

When did Isaac Reid die?

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've just completely stumbled upon this thread of yours last October, and I am quite curious if you got the information you were looking for.

I am a descendant of Amelia & her rather colourful husband, Isaac. I am also aware that after Isaac, died, somewhat prematurely, Amelia was remarried, to the chap you were looking for, Phillip Burley.

One thing that has really caught my eye in your post is the marriage of Isaac's daughter Frances to her (hoping I've got this right) step brother!!  :o as  I'd completely lost track of this particular Daughter. Could you expand on this at all please as I couldn't find any record of her marriage when I was trying to conclude her story.

I don’t know if this will help
Frances Amelia Reid married
30 Mar 1886
Marriage Place:   St Augustine, Paddington, Westminster, England
Father:   Isaac Reid
Spouse:   William John Burley
Father Phillip Froom Burley
the marriage detail available to view on Anc*y can give you more details if you require

William Jno Burley
Relationship:   Head
Birth Year:   1861
Spouse:   Frances A Burley 28
Philip Jno Burley 4
William H Burley 2
Hubert J Burley 3mths
1891c RG12; Piece: 1135; Folio: 48; Page: 31

William J Burley   40
Francis A Burley   38
Philip J Burley   14
William H Burle   12
Herbert J Burley   10
Frances G Burle   5
1901c RG13; Piece: 1170; Folio: 8; Page: 7

BURLEY, HUBERT  ISAAC     mmn REID     
1891  M Quarter in ETON BUCKS  Volume 03A  Page 676

BURLEY, FRANCIS  GEORGE     REID     
1895  D Quarter in WINDSOR  Volume 02C  Page 422

BURLEY, DOROTHY  FRANCES  mmn   REID     
1902  J Quarter in WINDSOR  Volume 02C  Page 430
From GRO indexes give mother’s maiden name

Frances Amelia & William John Burley on Electoral Register Berkshire 1920/1925 living 24 Beaumont Road

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ladyhawk

Frances Amelia Reid married
30 Mar 1886
Marriage Place:   St Augustine, Paddington, Westminster, England
Father:   Isaac Reid
Spouse:   William John Burley
Father Phillip Froom Burley
the marriage detail available to view on Anc*y can give you more details if you require

Rosetta Reid was one of the witnesses.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:01 BST (UK) »

Ernest REED registered Plymouth December Quarter 1876, Vol. 05B page 240 mothers maiden name TAPP.

When did Isaac Reid die?

Thanks, amondg

It appears Ernest used the surname Burley throughout his life.

Stewart may be able to confirm but I think Isaac's death is registered in Sept 1875 quarter in Tavistock as "Reed".