Author Topic: BURLEY, Philip - Plymouth, 1871 census  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BURLEY, Philip - Plymouth, 1871 census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
This appears to be Frances death entry

Frances A Burley
Death Age:   68
Birth Date:   abt 1863
Registration Date:   Sep 1931
Registration district:   Plymouth
Inferred County:   Devon
Volume:   5b
Page:   329
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 July 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
I am a descendant of Amelia & her rather colourful husband, Isaac. I am also aware that after Isaac, died, somewhat prematurely, Amelia was remarried, to the chap you were looking for, Phillip Burley. I don't have a huge amount of information on him specifically, but thought I'd let you know of my familiarity of him, in case I could help with anything.

Thanks, Stewart

My main interest is Phillip's second wife Mary Retallick.  Phillip marries Mary in 1868 and Mary dies in 1875.  I think she is the Mary Retallick born in St Columb Major, Cornwall in 1834.

I am puzzled that Phillip's wife on the 1871 census is shown as Emma born in Plympton (transcribed as Plymouth).  If you have any insights into "Emma" I'd appreciate it.

The 1871 census also credits Phillip with an older child I can't otherwise account for.

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 July 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Some interesting  & useful information there, Ladyhawk, especially about Frances as I'd lost track of her.

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything on Phillip Burley, before he Married Amelia. I can, however confirm that Isaac died aged 47 on the 10th August 1875. The death certificate confirms of Angina Pectoris & Fatty degeneration of the heart. I've always assumed that Alcohol may have played more than a significant part. As a prison warder at Dartmoor, I think he may have felt the need to numb his senses a bit,  :-\ His name was incorrectly spelt "Reed"

Regards

Stewart

Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.