Author Topic: Mercer Family arrival in New Zealand  (Read 1563 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mercer Family arrival in New Zealand
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
Might the electoral rolls show a son living with parents when he came of age? 

Or school records for siblings reveal another brother?

Or cemetery records in the area the family resided?

Has Paperspast been exhausted for leads?
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mercer Family arrival in New Zealand
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:10 BST (UK) »
Dear Maddys52,

Sorry to say that I don't know who that son is!!  I've only had a very quick look at the BDM indexes since seeing all the posts to see if a name stood out, but nothing thus far.

Kindest regards,
Daniel Ryan.
Didn't mean to imply anyone knew who he was :).

Good suggestions Twiggy Tree, I had a look at deaths on BMD but couldn't see anything that stood out, and had a look at Papers past yesterday, but couldn't find anything. Others might have better luck. Have to go out now, but will try to have another look tonight.  :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline DanielRyan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mercer Family arrival in New Zealand - Completed with thanks
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 November 17 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Everyone,

Just thought that I would post a follow up on my original request.  Spades very kindly obtained the Intention to Marry information as previously suggested.  The Intention to Marry Register reveals the following: Date of Notice: 15 May 1876, Sarah Mercer age 27, a Widow, occupation of Servant, residence Waltham and Joseph Henderson age 22, a Bachelor, occupation Labourer, residence Waltham.  Length of residence was recorded as 3 days by both parties.   

Spades has also provided me with valuable advice in understanding information recorded on the ITM Register.

Just like to say thank you again to everyone for your help.

Kindest regards to all.

Daniel Ryan