Author Topic: Merchant Navy Records  (Read 709 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy Records
« on: Monday 09 October 17 05:25 BST (UK) »
Has any anyone used British Merchant Navy Records to help with family history research?

What information can I expect to find on a complete CRS10?

If a merchant seaman was shipped back to the UK after the end of the war on a "conveyance order" would it be unusual for his CRS10 not to have a discharge number?

If a seaman was shipped back to the UK after the war on the instructions of a Naval Court and had been sentenced to imprisonment in the UK would the prison sentence be served in the nearest prison to the port where he landed?
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 17 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy,

The front page of the CRS10 Docket book provides the following information:

Name
    Date and place of birth
    Discharge 'A' number
    Rank or rating, with relevant certificate details
    Details of any other qualifications
    Date CRS10 first page was created
    British Seamen's Identity Card Notations.  The entries refer to correspondence and issuing of    cards, certificates, applications etc. The originals in general do not survive except where they have been filed in the Seaman's Pouch. Merchant Navy Establishment [licensed] Agencies (MNEA) Contracts

While the continuation page of the CRS10 Docket book shows:

A list of ships and their official numbers with date and place of engagement
    rank or rating
    F or H (for Foreign or Home trade voyage)
    date and place of discharge from the ship
    character grade
    National Insurance contribution code
    Registry clerk's initials and date of the entry
    When ashore the sheet may bear the entry MNRP (Merchant Navy Reserve Pool) with date and place.

You have to remember that these records were written up ashore by clerks after the event. Some are well documented others badly written up and with mistakes and omissions. As for him being shipped home on a conveyance order - which was common practice during the war - this should not have any bearing on why his Dis. A was not recorded on his CRS 10. But I can see no reason for it to be missing other than by human error or incomplete records. 

As for serving a prison sentence, I don't know but I would presume it would be in the nearest facility to the port of arrival.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy Records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hugh,
As ever, a very full, helpful and informative response.  Though I had to double check which site I was on!
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France