Author Topic: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location  (Read 11530 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
I found the marriage on familysearch.org at Durness, Sutherland but it is on Scotlands People with surname as Morison.

In fact, just seen another marriage for a Murdoch Morison at Durness in 1/3/1781 to a Christian MacKay - whether same person or another Murdoch have no idea.   This 2nd.  marriage is not on familysearch but is on SP too.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
Could be the same man; That Murdoch is listed as from "Sandwood", which is close to Oldshoremore, and thus almost as close to Scourie as it is to Durness.

However, by November 1785 he and Christian MacKay are in Eilean Choraidh, on Loch Eriboll, when their son Donald is baptised. They're still there on 25th May 1788 when their daughter Christian MacKay Morison was baptised. That would make it unlikely that the family would be 100 miles to the south-west a few years later. in fact, they're in the township of Aultan Durness when further children are baptised in 1793.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 04:33 BST (UK) »
You guys are so good at this!! It is taking me forever to even replicate what you've found online - let alone research further. I did find the record of a Murdoch Morrison's marriage to a Christian MacKay in Sandwood in 1781. I did not, however, find any of their children's records. How did you do that? (I'm sorry, I'm trying to learn!!)

So *if* Murdoch Morrison is "my" Murdoch Morrison, and he has all/most of his children in Eilean Choraidh (one of which would have to be Norman, born in 1790) it would mean that by the time that Norman was 23 he had made it to the Gairloch/Applecross area and married Isabella. It doesn't seem impossible. He was a 'merchant' so maybe economically it made more sense as a young man?

Ultimately, I'd need to find record of Murdoch and Christian having a son named Norman born in the range of 1790. Any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated. Another way in, would be to find the marriage record of Isabella and Norman because most seem to list the bride and groom's parents' names. Haven't had any luck in this myself.

Side note: I find this "naming" interesting because William (grandson to potential "Murdoch") names HIS eldest son "Murdo" rather than his father's name, Norman. Murdo was my Nana's grandfather whom she has early memories of - born in Gairloch but he became a very popular kilt maker in Edinburgh, after service for the army, and did most of the officer's uniforms stationed there. Never thought anything of the name but now wonder if it's connected.
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
Please disregard and look below! This was an evolving process ;)
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:16 BST (UK) »
WOAH. After a few hours of research with your recommendations, I just realized that there are two variations of Norman's name. In early records it is NORMAND Morison. I found a record of his marriage to Isabella on Family Search. They were married in Applecross on July 1st, 1813. Family Search records also have Isabela's name spelt "Isabel."

I took that information to Scotland's People and BAM - found record of their wedding. VERY EXCITED. Unfortunately, no parents are listed. It simply lists the marriage.

I believe it also lists both of their origins but the person who wrote their record had very difficult handwriting. After staring at it for quite some time I am 99.9999% sure Norman's reads: "of Torridon."

I had never heard of it, but apparently Torridon is but a mere 27 miles to Applecross where he gets married. So I think I found a birthplace.

This leads me to believe that the Murdoch of Durness is not related. But...since I did the research, I'll record below in case it is helpful to anyone else.

I took this new information BACK to Scotland's People and found him listed in the 1841 census, along with Isabella and with his kids in Applecross.

Phew! I still don't have his parents but now that I know the hometown and variable spelling maybe I'll have better luck.

---
I found most of Murdoch's children's records that have been mentioned. The child born in 1790 is listed with the name "Fairly." There was another child born in 1788 and the record does not have the gender or the name. There is a physical spot missing - it looks like the author never recorded it. Family Search however, claims that same child born in 1788 was a boy. Feel confident this is not my man.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
The term "Merchant!" as used in the NW Highlands can be at bit misleading, it certainly doesn't mean somebody sitting in their counting-house fingering the guineas & waiting on the world coming to their door or indeed a pedlar but somewhere in between! Your man could have been involved in supplying the fishery or shipping fish? Hence the mobility. ;D

Skoosh.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
Fairly was a common girl's name in Durness in the late 1700s. there was a sailing boat called the "Fairly of Rispond".

Fairly was the name of the wife of a prominent local figure, Fairly Gordon (1765-90), daughter of Captain Charles Gordon of Pulrossie, Factor of Reay, and wife from 1783 till her death of James Anderson, tacksman of Keodale and later tacksman of Rispond. Fairly was the second of his wives to die young.

Offline djct59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
The only Normand Morison birth on "SP" for Ross & Cromarty is in Urray in 1767; your Norman is approximately 50 in 1841, so I think we can rule out them being the same man.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 October 17 05:17 BST (UK) »
Skoosh - I believe you are right. In one of the records I've found on his son William, his occupation was listed as fisherman. I would assume, then, it is very likely his father Norman was involved in the industry too.

I am still struggling to use the information I've found on Norman and Isabella's marriage record to find his parents. Right now, I have record and know that Norman was married at age 23 in Applecross. He marriage record, I believe, reads "Of Torridon." Would this mean a birth place, or just where his home at the time was?

While I suspect the family line is ultimately from Lewis, I am also not sure when they crossed over - or if he was born on the mainland or not. I cannot find anything on his birth in either places and have used the resources listed here.

I've also had no luck so far in identifying a potential "Murdoch Morison" as his father. Any recommendations on where to go next?