Author Topic: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location  (Read 11501 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 21 June 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
@ Forfarian, The Mackenzie's of Torridon had the place, one set up the Torridon Fishery Company in 1786, his manager, interestingly was a Donald Morrison of Stornoway who had warehouses, storehouses & accommodation for the workers built,  you can imagine Lewis folk there for the season. Might that be the origin of the Morrison's?

John Mackenzie the 6th laird of Torridon, died 1852, sold the estate to Mackenzie of Seaforth. A Col' MacBarnet, who made his money from slaves in the W.Indies, had the estate for a time, it was he who cleared the tennants for sheep in 1831, moving them to Annat. Seaforth also cleared Torridon tenants who were poaching deer on Applecross in 1831.

Skoosh.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Norman Morrison b1790 Applecross/Gairloch - looking for parents/birth location
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 21 June 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
Super interesting Forfarian, I will check the baptism records this weekend.

And Skoosh - WOW. I have seen Donald's records and wondered if there was a connection. My primary theory of how the Morrison's came to the area was from Lewis during the fishing trade. I keep going back to it because there is a lot of evidence of the region formalizing the fishing trade, and bringing people from Lewis, right around the time of Norman's birth. I tried to find British Fisheries Records for the area but there aren't any, and I was told that the Torridon estate was not great at keeping records. There is also oral history in my family that insisted they were from Lewis - which ultimately with their names I think is true, but we have no evidence beyond that.

It sounds to me like Donald would have been a wealthy man, whereas it seems like Norman was not, so I am assuming the likelihood of him being his son is unlikely - unless he had many? Perhaps a nephew or relation?

I'm attaching the photo of the croft. The landscape and distance to the coast sure seems very similar. It's a bit hard to grasp it with different angles, and it appears to me (but I am very bad with spacial things) that the entry is on the opposite side of the house. But, the style of the house with the chimneys and windows are exact. Perhaps they were all made exactly like this?

I feel like the family photo is likely from Port Lair, but perhaps a house that no longer exists? If either of you are good at cross-examining photos, let me know your take on this!

Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 21 June 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
The  house on the left in your photo is exactly typical of the older houses in Wester Ross and indeed much of Scotland, with the front door in the middle of the long elevation, a window at either side and a chimney stack at each end.

I can't tell with certainty whether or not it's the same house as in the modern photographs.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 21 June 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Aye, a standard Butt & Ben facing south for the light, the Butt or kitchen was generally to the left & had a stone floor, the Ben or bedroom usually had a wooden floor. The kitchen fire was seldom out & being to the west the heat went through the house. Sometimes two bedrooms in the loft, as looks the case here with the skylights & a wee room between the kitchen & bedroom with a rear window, or an outshot at the rear. The landing at the top of the stair, also lit by a skylight, had a wide shelf where the families kist (trunk) was kept. The other building is a byre/stable or barn.

Skoosh.

Offline whatkaileysaid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Skoosh - again, so very interesting. My Nana was told that the family had been pushed out by the clearances from that home. Wasn't sure when, or if it was true, but based on what you've listed below about 1831 that makes complete sense. Perhaps that is when they moved closer to Gairloch.

Regarding the house, I would imagine that the Morrison homestead is no longer standing. I am likely going to hike it out there when I'm there this fall, perhaps find a footprint of it or a similar rock scene from our family photo.

Can you please also refer me to where you found the information regarding Donald Morrison? A whole new chapter to explore now!  If you have any direction for me on where I might find rental records for Port Lair for Mackenzie, please let me know.

Thank you both again for this. You should charge for this - you're both pros!
Morison (Isle of Lewis), Mclennan (Torridon), Mcleod (Scourie), McCallum (Durness), McInnes (Harris), McGillivray / McIntosh (Daviot & Dunlichity)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
As for the Rental, the local museum is the best bet, I would send an email to Steve Carter also for his thoughts.  I found the Morrison thing by Googling Torridon etc' but Norman (Tormod) Morrison is straight out of Central Casting for a Lewisman. Bill Lawson on Harris (hebridespeople.com) is the expert on Lewis families & might expand on the Morrison/Torridon connection & where they came from. He has several publications.

The weather here is looking up so I'm off north in an hour!  ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Aye, a standard Butt & Ben facing south for the light, the Butt or kitchen was generally to the left & had a stone floor, the Ben or bedroom usually had a wooden floor. The kitchen fire was seldom out & being to the west the heat went through the house. Sometimes two bedrooms in the loft, as looks the case here with the skylights & a wee room between the kitchen & bedroom with a rear window, or an outshot at the rear. The landing at the top of the stair, also lit by a skylight, had a wide shelf where the families kist (trunk) was kept. The other building is a byre/stable or barn.

Skoosh.

This description is exactly the layout of the little house we first had in Coigach, with a tiny kitchen and bathroom added on to the west of the kitchen/living room. You see ruins of such older houses all over the West Highlands.

Have a lovely time up there, Skoosh. it's the best time to be there - no darkness and fewer midges. Watch out for clegs though.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
@ Forfarian, The Mackenzie's of Torridon had the place .... John Mackenzie the 6th laird of Torridon, died 1852, sold the estate to Mackenzie of Seaforth.
Ah. That would make some sort of sense.

Must dig out my copy of Dixon's 'Gairloch' and see if it contains anything useful.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Mackenzie's of Torridon had the place, one set up the Torridon Fishery Company in 1786, his manager, interestingly was a Donald Morrison of Stornoway who had warehouses, storehouses & accommodation for the workers built
See http://www.nosas.co.uk/lochtorridon.asp which suggests that this fishing enterprise was on the south side of Loch Torridon, while Norman and family were crofters on the north side.