Author Topic: Look up Please Tasmanian Marriage Record - John Stanley Exell  (Read 2281 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Look up Please Tasmanian Marriage Record - John Stanley Exell
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
John Stanley Exell married Ellin Beatrice Owens Tasmania 1903 Reg: 1176.
Cannot find an entry in TROVE or in Tasmanian State Library online.
Will be at the our State Library tomorrow (Wednesday) and see what I can find.
Kind regards
clancam37

Hi Clancam,

Thank you for looking appreciate it. I couldn't find anything on Trove either. Looked up Exell, Excell, Excel etc but nothing. I am not 100% convinced he was born in Brighton Vic either as I can't find any birth for him. I just have that gut feeling. That's why I would love to find out the parents names well the mothers name to see if that can help me.  I am 1 of those people that need a document to feel convinced haha.

I am confuddled by your most recent response .....  As you acknowledge that you are one of those people that need a document to feel convinced, then why are you asking for a look up?   Both Cando and Clancam37 have obviously looked up and separately posted the information that is on the index available to each of them re the Tasmanian marriage of 1903.   Warncoort clearly advised you that you needed to purchase the certificate... 

The original poster on the other thread wrote back in 2010 as though they already had the marriage certificate...

Hello,

I am trying to trace John Stanley Exell. He married Ellen Beatrice Owens in Tasmania on 16th March 1903. I don't know his date of birth or date of death but according to the marriage certificate he was 23, so would have been born around 1880.

and

......  from his marriage certificate and one of his son's birth certificate is that in 1903 he was 23, parents listed as " unknown Exell" and he was a tailor. He lists as being born in Brighton, Victoria however i have been unable to find anything to clarify this. .....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Confirm, will check the State Library records for you this afternoon.
John Stanley Excell, a Tailor, was mentioned extensively in Australian newspapers (TROVE) in the 1920s.
Will get back to you soonest.
Regards
clancam37

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Confirm, will check the State Library records for you this afternoon.
John Stanley Excell, a Tailor, was mentioned extensively in Australian newspapers (TROVE) in the 1920s.
Will get back to you soonest.
Regards
clancam37

And this fact was mentioned on the linked thread and on a number of occasions the links to the articles were given.   I would have thought Kerryn could have searched for herself.  Better for people to try and research themselves.  Only way to acquire any skills.

Cclancam73...have you read the linked thread on John Stanley EXELL/EXCELL?  Just to save duplicate searching.  Hopefully you may find 'something' that isn't available on Tas LINC or TROVE, Ancestry, FindMyPast or familysearch.org    Good luck :)

I note that the OP has ticked the thread as completed.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 02:44 BST (UK) »
Now I am even more confuddled...

Thread marked completed .... before Clancam has been given the opportunity to get to the library this afternoon and then come back online and post ... I am lost for words...   It must be a mistake.

Did you purchased the 1903 marriage certificate for John Stanley EXELL as suggested to you some time ago?

EXCELL John Stanley
OWEN Ellen Beatrice   
At Stanley 16 Mar 1903  Reg#1176
   Cando

Cando

No - it is far too expensive.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=472168.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 October 17 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerryn,
The Tasmanian Federation Index 1900 - 1930 at the Tasmanian Library records the marriage of John Stanley EXCELL and Ellen Beatrice OWENS on 16th March 1903, Registration 1903/1176 at Stanley Tasmania.  Stanley is a very small town on the coast in NW Tasmania.  Checked Electoral Rolls -- the earliest being 1928 for Kentish>Darwin Tasmania. Five EXCELL mentioned living in that area.  Alfred Ernest, Christina, Christina Elizabeth, George Dally, and John Jeffrey.
There were two Wills one for a John EXCELL died 12th November 1903 -- no mention of a John Stanley as an heir.  The earliest arrival from the UK to Tasmania occurred 20th October 1854 of a William EXCELL aged 23 years.
A John Stanley EXCELL died in South Australia 11th November 1958 (per Ancestry.com.au) no mention of grave in onsite "Centennial Park Cemetery" Adelaide although a large number of EXCELL's interred there.
John Stanley EXCELL may have been born in Victoria and I'd need to go into Hobart to view the Victorian Pioneers Index 1836-1899 -- can do that next week for you.
Hope this helps.  Will keep searching for you.
Regards
clancam37

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 October 17 05:30 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone may be able to look up the marriage between John Stanley Exell or Excell and Helena (Ellen) Beatrice Owens in 1903.

What Kerryn wants is a lookup of the Church Register for the marriage which is held at the TAHO.

http://www.nmc.tas.gov.au/files/Economic_and_Community_Development/Church_Register_List.pdf

Kerryn, perhaps you can try sending a PM to Peter who is sometimes able to help with lookups.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=55315

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 October 17 05:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerryn,
The Tasmanian Federation Index 1900 - 1930 at the Tasmanian Library records the marriage of John Stanley EXCELL and Ellen Beatrice OWENS on 16th March 1903, Registration 1903/1176 at Stanley Tasmania.  Stanley is a very small town on the coast in NW Tasmania.  Checked Electoral Rolls -- the earliest being 1928 for Kentish>Darwin Tasmania. Five EXCELL mentioned living in that area.  Alfred Ernest, Christina, Christina Elizabeth, George Dally, and John Jeffrey.
There were two Wills one for a John EXCELL died 12th November 1903 -- no mention of a John Stanley as an heir.  The earliest arrival from the UK to Tasmania occurred 20th October 1854 of a William EXCELL aged 23 years.
A John Stanley EXCELL died in South Australia 11th November 1958 (per Ancestry.com.au) no mention of grave in onsite "Centennial Park Cemetery" Adelaide although a large number of EXCELL's interred there.
John Stanley EXCELL may have been born in Victoria and I'd need to go into Hobart to view the Victorian Pioneers Index 1836-1899 -- can do that next week for you.
Hope this helps.  Will keep searching for you.
Regards
clancam37

Oh dear...well that goes to show that clancam did not read the previous threads about John Stanley EXELL eg John Stanley stated on the birth certificate of his first child he was born Victoria;  John Stanley's marriage registration from my copy of The Tasmanian Federation Index 1900 - 1930  has been posted including that it took place at Stanley;  John Stanley's death registration and place of death were posted on the linked thread, from my copy of South Australian Death Registration 1915-1972, so why would you seek his burial at Centennial Park when my post clearly stated he was interred at West Terrace Cemetery and finally, I find it offensive that clanclam would even think that the many chatters who helped would not have searched for John S's birth in Victoria.....I know I did an extensive search on my copy of The Victorian Pioneer Index which only extends to 1888 not 1899, the Federation Index is for the period 1889-1901!!!

Kerryn I do hope Peter can help you.

Cando

Edit...a search online.....J S EXELL named his parents as UNKNOWN when he married in 1914.  So did he fabricate his father's name when he married in SA?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 October 17 08:02 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone may be able to look up the marriage between John Stanley Exell or Excell and Helena (Ellen) Beatrice Owens in 1903.

What Kerryn wants is a lookup of the Church Register for the marriage which is held at the TAHO.

http://www.nmc.tas.gov.au/files/Economic_and_Community_Development/Church_Register_List.pdf

I've started having a look at the church registers but without success yet - wondering if it was a marriage ceremony performed at home rather that a church and if it was recorded in an alternative way, has anyone seen that in records before?

:)

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
I wasn't going to say anything but after reading the last few posts I feel it is important.

The reason I marked this as completed is that I am sick of the  attitudes of some people (I am not naming names). I think people need to reread what they post before they do. People may think they are an expert and know EVERYTHING but guess what you don't! Also, certain people feel the need to correct people but there is a way to do this and from what I have seen not only on this thread they are doing it in wrong way.

Ancestry should be an enjoyable experience and people should remember the world is not going to end if people do not do or say the things that you want!