Author Topic: Joseph Cresswell married in Horsley in 1771  (Read 1249 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Joseph Cresswell married in Horsley in 1771
« on: Monday 09 October 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
I am returning to this topic.   My direct ancestors Joseph Cresswell and Mary Hawley married in Horsley on 15 April 1771.   I have managed to track the ancestry of Mary Hawley who came from Nottingham.  However, Joseph remains a mystery.  I cannot find his parents.

I have what may be a false lead in terms of a baptismal record from Friargate Chapel (Presbyterian), Derby  which has a Joseph Creswell baptised 21 December 1742 with father William Creswell who resided in Duffield.

Although the date of the Presbyterian baptism in Derby  may be about right I have absolutely no evidence that it is correct nor any reason to think that at sometime Joseph moved from Duffield to Horsley.  Certainly, Joseph and his wife Mary had children in Horsley, and one of them Francis Cresswell  my direct ancestor moved to Denby.

If anyone has access to Horsley parish records I would really appreciate a check to see whether there is any record of Joseph in Horsley or vicinity. I realise this is a bit like a needle in a haystack as Creswell/Cresswell was a common name in the Denby, Horsley, Smalley and Pentrich areas.

Thanks,  marp

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Cresswell married in Horsley in 1771
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 October 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

The marriage record is as follows

Bans of marriage between Joseph Creswell  labourer and Mary Hawley spinster both of Woodhouse
In this Parish were duly published on three several Sundays viz. 31st day of March and on the 7th
And 14th days of April 1771 by me Goddard.

it then goes on to say they were married 15 April 1771 by Jos. Goddard.

neither could write they both made there mark.

In the presence of

John Hawley
John Shipstone

The Horsley mentioned would be Horsley Woodhouse

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.   I had found the marriage record in Phillimore's parish registers but did not have the detail of the dates of the banns of marriage nor the witnesses.

I am trying to find Joseph's parents without success.  it does not look as if his father or a sibling was a witness at the marriage so that is no help.

Thanks again, I will keep looking!

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 October 17 01:56 BST (UK) »
Have you thought that perhaps one of the witnesses was a brother in law? The name would therefore be different to his.

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 October 17 08:54 GMT (UK) »
One of the witnesses at the wedding was John Hawley.   John Hawley was Mary's father - unless she had a brother of that name.  John Hawley was born about 1727 in Broughton Sulney (Upper Broughton), Nottinghamshire.