Author Topic: James Stewart Gellatly born Arbroath c.1840  (Read 5984 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Stewart Gellatly born Arbroath c.1840
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 21:38 BST (UK) »
When I was doing the searches, I noticed that most of the listings for the surname had Galletly rather than Gellatly.

Spellings of surnames in those days weren't fixed. I've had all sorts of spellings for some of my surnames  :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: James Stewart Gellatly born Arbroath c.1840
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
I also found a will for James Stewart Gellatly and meanwhile noticed the James with Lilly on the 1851 census had his surname spelt Galletly, slight deviation. So, for James' middle name I have STEWART on his death and will and KIRK on his sons marriage certificate.

It seems an obvious error & mix-up as you have James' own word on his name.

I have many documents with names which are mixed up but there are ways of cross referencing to be sure you have the correct person although I had no wills to work with so you have a bonus  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"