Author Topic: More 1939 Register advice  (Read 3052 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: More 1939 Register advice
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Marky

Given as you say she was already married and no surname change I would agree with Rosie99.  I think she's had some procedure done, they've seen her full name has not been recorded, amended her record with 'Maria' and the date is when the record has been amended.  I don't think you're going to find out anything puzzling over this.

CD

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies. Her daughter is probably on the register but blacked out, but would be the entry below, and she did marry in the JAS quarter of 1956, but she wouldn't have Maria after her name, but there is also a bit of green ink under Maria which could be a B, she went from being a Burgess to a Brearley. The National Health Service theories are interesting, that could be the case, but was really interested in what the YN would have stood for?
Jerome - Hampshire (including IOW)
Parsons - Surrey, Somerset and Devon

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
I think I've read as much as possible on the 1939 Register including the excellent blog on the Lost Cousins site, I've also come across many good posts and replies on here as well. However I haven't been able to find anything regarding an entry I've come across in my research. It has all the regular information then added in green ink it has the persons second name and then above the dob columns it has YN 29-12-56. Does anyone know what the YN might stand for?

Kind Regards, Mark.

You don’t give much information in your text or on the image (such as what name if any was crossed out) so I can only make generic suggestions.

On the entries I have viewed green ink is used for a change of name other than change by marriage.
By this I mean things like a change notified by a doctor when the person joined a new practice or by hospital admission.

The change could be due to cohabitation as a couple, or for a child could be their step-father’s surname being used or simple the person decided to adopt a new name.

Changes of name by marriage seem to be noted by the use of blue ink (though I have seen at least one page where the whole page was completed in blue ink in such cases a mixture of green ink and black ink is used for changes of name and even corrections)
Red ink seems to be reserved for correction of errors.

The letters are normally an abbreviation for the town or city where the change was notified or registered.

Cheers
Guy

P.S., It could even be something as simple as changing the order of the first names or giving the full name; e.g. Lena D. to Dorothy Lena
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
My mum married my dad in 1948,that is marked on the 1939 register in thick blue ink.
My dad died in 1970,and she remarried my step father in 1973,that one is listed in green ink,with a code of CR283 and then the date,about 2 months after the wedding and underneath it MX (Which I take to mean Middlesex,as that's where she lived at the time).

Or maybe that 2 months later date was when she registered at our same family doctors in her newly married surname?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again. There are no crossings out of names, just the addition of Maria (which was her second name) and the YN and date. As she disappeared from her family there is the possibility that she ended up cohabiting with someone else, and if YN were to represent a town could it possibly be Yeadon (the only town I could find with a Y and N) in West Yorkshire?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 11:01 BST (UK) »
I think that you are probably trying to read too much into the 'YN'   :-\   Could it be as simple as Yorkshire North ???
Have you looked at the following pages to see if any other entries also have this code or variations of it ie YE or YW areas now known as 'Riding'.

Offline Rattus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
One (perfectly reasonable) suggestion can be ruled out. In 1956 - indeed up to at least 2013, and quite probably the present day - YN was not a valid National Insurance number prefix.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130605081120/http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/payroll/year-end/errors.htm#x7
BARTRAM - Nottingham, Derby, originally Beds (Stagsden)
PERFETT - St Pancras & Marylebone, Rugby, Nottingham
RADFORD - Nottinghamshire, also back & forth to Bury
RUDD - Durham, Margate, Bermondsey, Newcastle, Nottingham

Offline MarkyP

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
I think that you are probably trying to read too much into the 'YN'   :-\   Could it be as simple as Yorkshire North ???
Have you looked at the following pages to see if any other entries also have this code or variations of it ie YE or YW areas now known as 'Riding'.

Looks like you might be right, there are YWs and YEs further on, thanks.  ;)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 12:19 BST (UK) »

Looks like you might be right, there are YWs and YEs further on, thanks.  ;)

Good thinking Rosie  ;D