Author Topic: Papists in the 18th century  (Read 2329 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Papists in the 18th century
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 20:43 BST (UK) »

Anglican clergy were responsible for collecting the taxes in their parish. Therefore they had to know about and record the birth of every child, regardless of religious affiliation. Some are recorded in the baptism register as births, some as baptisms.
Paupers were exempt from these taxes, so if "poor" or "pauper" was written next to an entry in register it meant the tax hadn't been collected from that person. The tax was low but unpopular. Single men over a certain age and men who remained widowers for too long were also taxed.
There were other times in 18thC when births of children of Recusants were recorded in parish registers. Vicar of Kirkham in Lancashire kept a separate list in early years of century. Some other parishes seemed to lump them in with rest of children in chronological order.
I'm guessing some clergy were more zealous in this endeavour than others. I am having huge difficulties finding baptism and burial records for my early Methodist/Congregationalists in Lancashire :(
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:01 BST (UK) »
Despite what Stan says, I know of an Anglican minister who refused to baptize a child on the grounds that the parents didn't go to church. That was 25 years ago and the vicar in question has been dead for twenty years. I don't know whether the parents managed to baptize their child. cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Then they should have reported him to the Diocesan Bishop.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
While transcribing baptisms for Formby church I have come across a strange footnote saying that some children's names 'cd. not be procured being papists'.  Why would that have been?

Having moved on twentyfive years to 1788, this footnote may explain a little about what went on in Formby parish before the Catholics had their own church (chapel).  I believe the register I am transcribing is an annual, or perhaps quarterly, compilation by the perpetual curate, who seems to move on every few years.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
The later ones from 1788 coincided with Stamp Duty Tax so curate was duty-bound to record all births and collect tax due. Parents of Catholic children on the list were complicating the curate's record-keeping and accounts.
BTW there were no Non-Conformists recorded in Formby until 1st quarter of 19thC, so it was only R.C. babies curate had to chase-up.
Cowban