Author Topic: Harriett Ashford 1881 census  (Read 1824 times)

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriett Ashford 1881 census
« on: Monday 09 October 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello

Hoping that someone with access to 1881 census images can help.

Looking for a Harriett Ashford born Jun Qtr 1880, Pontypridd, Mother Mary Ashford (nee Thomas) and father first name unknown.

I think I have found Harriett as Harriet in the 1881 census but although I have a transcript of the census entry, it is an unusual one as no DOBs are given. Confusingly there are also 2 Harriet Ashfords listed. There is also a Mary Ashford in the same entry (possibly her mother) and other Ashfords, possibly siblings and others! I think it may possibly be a damaged entry or something like a workhouse entry? Access to the actual census image should hopefully clarify things?

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=bAO214&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&gss=angs-c&new=1&rank=1&gsfn=har*iet*&gsfn_x=0&gsln=ashford&gsln_x=0&msbdy=1880&MSAV=1&uidh=zq3&pcat=1881UKI&h=5488479&dbid=8059&indiv=1&ml_rpos=6

In 1891 Harriet is living with stepfather David Jones and her mother Mary Jones (nee Ashford/Thomas) and also and Annie J Jones (b. 1874) who is listed as David’s daughter, presumably from his first marriage.

In 1896 she marries Gomer Davies originally of Pontyberem

Thank you

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harriett Ashford 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's a damaged page.

All that can be seen are the names:
Mary Ashford
Harriet Ashford
Elizabeth Ashford
William Ashford
Charles Ashford
Harriet Ashford
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 17 19:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That's a shame, can only assume of the Harriet's is the one born 1880 and Mary her mother, they are living in the right area an Ashford is not that common. Hoping it would help trace Mary and her husband back through the census

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
If you care to send for her birth certificate you will find the name of her father.

Mary Ashford nee Thomas is also a clue - have you looked for a Mary Thomas ? Ashford marriage?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
If you care to send for her birth certificate you will find the name of her father.

Mary Ashford nee Thomas is also a clue - have you looked for a Mary Thomas ? Ashford marriage?

Thanks. Have started some further work

John Ashford and Mary Thomas dec qtr 1877 pontypridd is the most likely parents for Harriett. As you say Harriett's birth certificate will confirm this, or Not!

I think this is the details for Mary's second marriage to David Jones: Jun Qtr 1883, Pontypridd 11a 608

Given that Harriett was born 1880 and that Mary remarried (possibly) 1883, this gives a small opportunity for John Ashford's death but I cant find an obvious one in free BMD even if I extend the search up until 1901, so something not quite right

Mary Jones is listed as mother in law in 1911 census, staying with Gomer and Harriet, confirming her second marriage https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3AGomer~%20%2Bsurname%3ADavies~%20%2Bresidence_place%3Apontypridd~&collection_id=1921547

Not sure if the above will resolve the relationships between all the Ashfords in 1881, though I think the Charles mentioned might be an uncle as Chas. Ashford of Pontypridd is listed as a great uncle in the newspaper funeral details of one of Gomer and Harriett's children who died early in 1920.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks to help from elsewhere have made some in roads into the Ashfords

Is anyone able to work out birthplaces for John and Eliza in attached.Think the first word is Devon

Plus for William and Charles Monmouth ?????

Thank you

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
I've cleaned up the cropped portion as below.

The instinct for John is Ottery Saint Mary,but the first word looks more like Otley.
The possibilities for Elizabetn are Nettlecombe,or possibly Ilfracombe?

The last entry looks like Langwm,but I'm unsure about the next to last.

Regards
Roger

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks. Otters St. mary and Llangwm exist, so seem right. Will have further ponder on Elizabeth's location

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Coming from a different angle,from GRO evidence Elizabeth is mmn Bishop,and the marriage probably 1852 Honiton.Looking for Elizabeth Bishop,Honiton,in the 1851 census,there are a few options dependent on your view of Elizabeth's age.One that does strike me is the one from Awliscombe(circa 1830/1-right age for marrriage?).This is the closest match to what your clipping looks like,particularly if it is a Welsh enumerator's interpretation of a Devon accent!I think this is also true in the 1891 entry for Elizabeth,which,I think, says Honnerton.

Regards
Roger