Author Topic: 2 x g.g.uncle in Trimulgherry, East Indies?  (Read 451 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
2 x g.g.uncle in Trimulgherry, East Indies?
« on: Monday 09 October 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
My 2 x g.g.uncle Scoyles Dye disappears after the 1851 census.  He was baptised on 25 March 1832 as Scoyles, on the 1841 census his name is shown as Skyles and on 1851 census as Scoyles, where he is living with his parents in Newton Flotman, Norfolk.  For ages I couldn't find any trace of him after that date (and neither can any of the people who have trees on Ancestry  ::) ).  However, on Findmypast there is a Skiles Dye on the 1861 British Army Worldwide Index showing him as a Private 3977 in the 1st Btn (1st Foot) Royal in Trimulgherry East Indies and suggested looking on National Archives where it shows 1st Foot (Royal Scots) 1st Btn.

I've done that but, naturally, the records are not digitised and I'd need to order them - expensive I guess especially when the man is only my 2 x g.g.uncle and the records only cover 1861-1862.

Can anyone give me any information about what was happening in Trimulgherry in 1861-1862.  Maybe Skiles stayed in the East Indies, or maybe having joined a Scottish regiment, he went to Scotland afterwards although I can't finding anything on Scotlandspeople.

Many thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2 x g.g.uncle in Trimulgherry, East Indies?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 October 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
This history should answer the question (click the pages to turn them)

http://www.archive.org/stream/storyofroyalscot00weavuoft#page/n5/mode/2up

The records referred to are the Muster Books that only list the man's name and the quarters of each year when he was in the regiment.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 October 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max.

It's possible my 2 x g.g.uncle joined up to fight in the Crimean war, the 1st battalion sailing from Plymouth to Gallipoli in 1854 and after the Treaty of Peace in 1856 the battalion returned to Aldershot. 

After that not much happened, it's written that the First Battalion went to India in 1857, the 2nd Btn moved from Malta to Hong Kong where the Chinese "braves" had been making trouble for the "foreign devils" and it was necessary to punish them.  There is no other info about India and the next para starts "The next 20 years yield nothing of interest".

Unfortunately Trimulgherry isn't mentioned at all.

If the papers held at TNA are only the Muster Books, there won't be much point in my paying to see them.  All I can think is that my 2 x g.g.uncle either stayed in India after 1861 and made a life for himself there, or he perished for some reason.  I'm not sure why the 1861 British Army Worldwide Index suggests Trimulgherry is in E Indies, because checking it out on google, it is in India to the north of Hyderabad.

I've now found that his records (well probably only the Muster Book as it's only for 1861) is on the Forces War Records site, a one off payment for one month is £8.25 and it looks as though I would be able to see his service number - which I already have - his duty location and service.  For such a distant ancestor, I'm not sure if it's worth the money.  I'll think about it.

Thanks for your help
Lizzie

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 October 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
It was normal at that time to include India in the term East Indies or Indies.  Only later did it become more usual to limit the term to Indonesia, Malaya and eastwards. Note East India Company whose writ started in India and stretched eastwards.  After the Indian Mutiny was over in 1857/58, indeed nothing much happened!

Trimulgherry was a camp near Secunderabad and most references to the army in that area used Secunderabad or Madras.

I would agree that it is not worth poring through the Muster Books, I would not be surprised if the Forces War records 1861 record was the index you've already seen!.

Best last - he did indeed fight in the Crimea.  He (it says Steyles Dye) is on the Crimea medal roll on Ancestry.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the info about the Crimea medal roll on Ancestry, I'll check that out.  Where he went after that is anyone's guess.  I think I'll just make a note of that on my family tree.