Author Topic: Duties paid for apprentices indentures  (Read 775 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Duties paid for apprentices indentures
« on: Monday 09 October 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
An article in the latest FHS journal refers to a register of the above from 1710 to 1811 being online with Anc. Could anyone please help with a look-up for James Crudace born c1796. He was a Joiner and Carpenter in Bishopton.

Regards,
Colin

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duties paid for apprentices indentures
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 October 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
I had a firkle in those records and can't come up with anything for the surname Cruddace/Cruddas/etc etc. Though as the records were to primarily record the name of the Master I am not sure that a surname search would bring up an apprentice's name (though it is included in the results, after the Master's name). I did try using Cruddace etc as a keyword and still nothing for your man.

Reading the info, it would seem that it was possible (though it varied from case to case) that the tax may not have been paid until after the apprenticeship was complete, this was cited as being one reason not to be able to find a name. Given his year of birth and the date range of the database, it would be highly unlikely for him to have finished his apprenticeship by 1811.

Boo

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
Re: Duties paid for apprentices indentures
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Cheers Boo, I was very much clutching at straws as I have not been able to find anything on James prior to his marriage. I was hoping that he might have crept in at the start of his apprenticeship, but thanks very much for checking it's really appreciated.

Regards,
Colin

PS. I note that your post was on Thursday but for some reason I didn't receive notification until today.