Author Topic: Charles Frederick Trinder b 1820-1825, Oxfordshire died-Victoria Australia  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Frederick Trinder b 1820-1825, Oxfordshire died-Victoria Australia
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 October 17 19:38 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I think it's quite possible that Charles TRINDER is the Charles WEST born to James WEST and Rachel TRINDER, but I also think he could have served in the 96th Regt. but as TRINDER or WEST?

It's confusing that the link I gave you showed that the "British Sovereign" arrived in Nov 1840, I can't find their source. I have found other info showing that the "British Sovereign" left in October 1840 and arrived in March 1841.  She was a convict ship, with some of the 96th Regt aboard, this link gives lots of information including "composed the military guard their wives and children and the crew having embarked at Deptford on the 30 October." Deptford is the place that Charles said he sailed from.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4106480

The British Sovereign's master was Jn COW,

http://www.founders-storylines.com/mugsheets/voyages/view/BV0597

It went to Madras and Calcutta in 1841,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8751531?searchTerm=%22british%20sovereign%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-decade=184|||l-year=1841

and possibly to pick up some British convicts,

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/india.html

Then it went to Hobart,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/232479762?searchTerm=%22british%20sovereign%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-decade=184|||l-year=1841

Then on to Sydney,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/8752280?searchTerm=%22british%20sovereign%22&searchLimits=sortby=dateAsc|||l-decade=184|||l-year=1841|||l-month=12

I don't know if they would keep soldiers on board for these voyages? It seems unlikely but who would be guarding the prisoners coming back from India?

There is also some info to be found that the Headquarters of the 96th Regiment were in Windsor and Parramatta maybe he was stationed there.

Of course you could be right and he is the Charles WEST that arrived in 1851 and that he "stole" someone else's story.

Finding records of the 96th regiment's soldiers might help, but I'm not sure if these exist and I've run out of time now to look today :)

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:43 BST (UK) »
I did note his death notice in the paper in 1898 said he was a "Colonist for 59 years"--which means his family thought he arrived in 1839. The same year he advised on his prison record in 1864.
If he was Charles West it seems he never told his family either & his deception became the truth that he took it to the grave..
Thats the trouble with old Charles he told so many lies....that just seem unlikely.
Even his youngest son James Freeland Trinder birth 1880---Mary was 47 by then, a lady who had apparently already had 13 children some of which were clearly had indigenous parentage , living in a bush hut, a grandmother to at least 5 children & who had forgotten her age (as she was getting younger on the birth certificates)  ---is it possible she had James ?--"yes"
But is it more likely he was their grand child to their well into her 20's unmarried daughter Mary , (Her sister Elizabeth also had a illegitimate child) & she & Charles saved the day by claiming the child like they had done on now possibly 6 other occasions ?
Following this family is like tracking Spaghetti---:) With Charles at its core !

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 October 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
John, I would ask that you refrain from using the term you repeatedly use for indigenous Australians, in your posts. It is a racist term and is offensive to both Aboriginal members of Australia, as well as those of non-racist beliefs.

RC does have members who are of Aboriginal descent.

Correct terms you can use are indigenous Australian/s, Aboriginal and aborigine.

The use of current racist terms being used on these forums has been discussed on previous occasions and for many it is agreed that what was once historically ok, does not mean that it is ok, today.

I did try to let it pass, but you just keep repeating it and even highlighting it with quotation marks.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 October 17 02:06 BST (UK) »
I apologies Jamjar, no racist intent...
From those children is where my own indigenous heritage comes from. Something I am very proud of..
Hence my interest in this family particularly.
It was the language of the period & I will edit where the system allows.

Thanks again for your help in this ...

Best Regards

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 October 17 02:18 BST (UK) »
Pleased to hear that you are proud of your indigenous heritage John.

Yes, it was the language of the period and sad to say that it still exists in Australia, today.

Unfortunately, you are unable to edit posts that were made more than 24 hours past. However, the last post should be editable.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 October 17 07:20 BST (UK) »
Just to finish this on a positive note---after further research.
I have found out that not only did Charles Trinder name his youngest son James Freeland -- a clear reference to Charles West's past. His father James & Charles from Freeland, Oxfordshire.
His daughter Mercy Prentice (Wynd) apparently had used the alias "Mary West"... (see her children's Birth Certificates).
I think despite the paperwork you have unraveled a 164 year old family secret :)

I can't thank you clever contributors enough--if there's such a thing as a "Virtual Beer"--its my shout !

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 October 17 07:35 BST (UK) »
I think your Charles Trinder/West would have been quite a character.

It’s such a shame we can’t travel back in time to meet our ancestors.  :D

Jamjar

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 October 17 15:33 BST (UK) »
Pleased to accept a virtual beer, John.  It's always nice to have it confirmed that I was right  ;D  , thanks for letting us know. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk