Author Topic: DNA company sounds very interesting  (Read 1735 times)

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA company sounds very interesting
« on: Tuesday 10 October 17 18:12 BST (UK) »
Anyone used this company
Living DNA your ancestry ?
They are UK based and seem to do a intense report
it almost sounds too good to be true
https://www.livingdna.com/en-gb/how-it-works
I have no affiliation with this company just about to look into DNA and they sound good
Turner Cowie Humphrey Ruffell Elsender Sample

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA company sounds very interesting
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I went with Living DNA.  The results break down your dna into areas of the UK.  Overall they were reasonably accurate with the areas.  However they missed out a significant Yorkshire connection and my Irish result was a little over 3% when my paternal side is at least 50% Irish.

If you are interested in the breakdown, and your origins are mainly UK then i would go with them.  If, however you are interested in a large number of matches then Ancestry or 23 and Me would be better.

If you are interested in matching on Gedmatch, be aware that the site is split into two halves at the moment although they plan to merge everything in time.  Ancestry results are on the "old" side and the other companies are on the Genesis project.  People on Genesis can't match with Ancestry people.  However, I believe that Ancestry people can load on to Genesis as well but not many seem to do this.

Hope this helps.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline DavyTee68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
It does thank you
I take it they look at worldwide as well as regional ?
Turner Cowie Humphrey Ruffell Elsender Sample

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
They do, but I am not sure how good this is as my ancestors are mainly UK.  I would think it is probably as good as Ancestry from what I have read online.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandgrounder1

"Gedmatch, be aware that the site is split into two halves at the moment "

I tested with Ancestry and then uploaded my raw DNA to Gedmatch (and Family Tree DNA).  Could you explain about Gedmatch being split into two halves, please?  I'm wondering if I've been reviewing only half of my matches.

Thank you for the help.  Marion

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
Apparently Ancestry data has some compatibility problems on Gedmstch with other companies, so anyone not with Ancestry has to upload to their Genesis Project.  However, you, being with Ancestry, can upload to Genesis whereas people with the other companies cannot go the other way!  They are planning to migrate everyone to Genesis in the future.

So if you want to match with 23 and me or Living DNA people go to Gedmatch home page.  You will see a series of blue coloured text boxes.

Make sure you have your data downloaded from Ancestry and saved in a file where you can easily find it.
At the homepage, go to the lowest blue box
Click on "find out more about genesis beta"
On next page click on "click here to continue to Genesis home page"
You will now need to input your email and password again
Follow intstructions to upload your data
On the left hand side your name will be in colour.
It will change as the download progresses to orange, light green then dark green
When it is dark green you are ready to compare with other people

You will have a new number which is different from your Ancestry number, but you can use this to compare to people on Genesis and the original number to compare as you do now with Ancestry people.

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Sandgrounder1.  Your instructions worked like a charm.  My raw DNA is now uploaded to GEDmatch Genesis..  I completely missed this section, always too much in a rush to see if there's a new match  :)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
Glad it worked.  Try a match to YX6902196!

Offline MarionE2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
Well, it seems that we have the same interests, but not the same DNA! Thanks again for the help. Marion

Largest segment = 0.0 cM

Total Half-Match segments (HIR) = 0.0 cM (0.0 Pct)
No shared DNA segments found