Author Topic: DNA company sounds very interesting  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA company sounds very interesting
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 08:50 BST (UK) »
Happy hunting!
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
A second cousin had his DNA done on Ancestry. He has lots of matches for his mothers side, none for our paternal side. No point in me having mine done, the only ping will be between us. Trouble with Ancestry is that lots of people don't input their Trees. Ancestry can help make links if people do. The other thing is ethnicity, they don't differentiate between Saxon, Norse and Celt. Apparently Danish and Saxon DNA are in distinguishable. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 11:26 BST (UK) »
Regorian,

Siblings can hold very different DNA than each other..we have 23 sets of chromosomes [ the 23rd is male/female ] so we get 11 from our father and 11 from our mother, so the 11 I got from my father may not be all the same 11 my sister got out of the 22 he has.  My 2nd cousin did a DNA test for me as I'm hoping to find our GG Grandfather and he and I share 247cM which is quite a good match.

Yonks

Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you Yonks,

All sounds like a waste of time to me. I was under the impression that Y chromosomes bound the males of the line.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:42 BST (UK) »
'Trouble with Ancestry is that lots of people don't input their Trees. Ancestry can help make links if people do.'

It is frustrating that some people don't have a tree on Ancestry but that's not to say they don't have a tree elsewhere.  I have used the Ancestry link to contact such people and asked whether they are genealogists and if so do they have family tree info and several do have the information and we have been able to make a connection.  Some are not interested and that's the end of it but no harm in trying.

The lack of a tree on Ancestry simply means that the matching is not done instantaneously by them - it doesn't mean you can't do it yourself.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire