Author Topic: Manders Menagerie  (Read 1506 times)

Offline KRusty46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manders Menagerie
« on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
Help!
I am trying to find the link between my family and Manders travelling Menagerie.  It's a common story of not asking the right questions when relatives are still with us!  My grandfather John Manders Stark born in 1911 and lived in Hull.  His mother was Charlotte Ann Manders b 1882 and his grandmother was Mary Ann Manders.
When the  goose fair visited Hull my grandfather always went off to see his Manders cousins.  Mary Ann was born in Barnetby (north Lincolnshire) in 1847, she had 10 siblings and I have traced all of them and their families. I have discovered some great social history but no links to the Menagerie.
Mary Ann's father was John Manders b 1798 in Cadney (north Lincolnshire), again I have followed his siblings to no avail.  His father was Richard b 1765 approx, birthplace not known.  The only record I can find is for a Richard born in Berkswell Warwickshire.  Can anyone shed any light on the familiar story, I have a 13ft scroll! of my records and am willing to share any information. Many thanks :)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Manders Menagerie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Could it simply be that the fair was a common meeting up place for an annual family get together?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 04:22 BST (UK) »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46674789@N03/5604092707/

There are photos on flickr by a family member, maybe if you contacted the person who put them up they may have helpful information.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 04:27 BST (UK) »
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KRusty46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Could it simply be that the fair was a common meeting up place for an annual family get together?

thank you for your reply, I entirely agree it was a family get together.  I just don't know who in the Manders family was the cousin, given that my Manders didn't seem to leave Lincolnshire until they moved to Hull.  I have traced all of my grandfathers first cousins and they all lived in Hull, so the link is more distant and I think will probably always be a mystery.  Thanks again.

Offline KRusty46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
http://www.joylandbooks.com/books_secondhand/manders.htm

and maybe this book could help, or this facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/marcmandersevangeli/
Thank you for your interest.  I do have the book you mention and it is very interesting.  I will definitely have a look on Facebook and the photos on Flickr.  As I'm sure you know this family history malarkey can be very frustrating. :)

Offline marcmanders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 October 17 23:32 BST (UK) »
please contact I have a facebook page https://www.facebook.com/marcmandersevangeli
I have loads off connection plus manders names unconnected to the circus and funfairs
mander manders fossett perry baily gallaher holden johnson law jones Johnson Robinson trett

Offline KRusty46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 October 17 13:15 BST (UK) »

Hi Marc,
Thank you for making contact. I am not on Facebook but my husband is, so should I use that to contact you or carry on on Rootschat?
Regards Anne