Author Topic: Ann Stuart Field's death c1879, Toronto(?), Ontario, please?  (Read 2067 times)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Stuart Field's death c1879, Toronto(?), Ontario, please?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi RK:

Thank you for your good wishes.  Compared to what others are facing in California (devastating fires), my problems are so minor.  Regarding my problems - things happen for a reason; I am hopeful things will turn out for the best.

You've given me hope of finding distant relatives.  I hope to start looking around tonight (thanks to your great leads).

Thank you again.   :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
You are welcome :)

Have you looked for Annie's sisters' families?  Not as direct as her son's children, but still might know something?

Dora Emmeline (Emma) Stewart Mumford on the 1901 census has some children.  Also on 1911. (Names on family search)   Her sister Sarah Stewart is living with the family. 

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi RK:

Thanks to expect research  ;D by bbart and by someone on another website (a number of years ago), we have researched the other Stuart girls.

More in a moment...
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
It sounds like both life and computer have kicked you in the shins.... hope all is resolved in a good way soon!

I have been lurking in the background, trying to refresh my memory on the Stuart family, and to double check that we didn't turn left instead of right at some point. In doing that, I see there is  several points we could never find, like the death of mother Sarah Fowler Stuart, or what happened to the sister Jane that witnessed the marriage of Ann to Mr. Field.

Common sense dictates that Ann died around 1879ish, as her sisters took over the raising of young Charles Field, so it is just a matter of a missing (or badly transcribed) death registration?  I shall keep digging! Hopefully along the way, even if we don't find her death, we can fill some of the other gaps in!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:03 BST (UK) »
While my grandfather (grandson of James Stuart and Sarah Fowley) used to enjoy telling facts/stories about his paternal line, I don't believe he ever mention anything about the Stuarts (nor Fowleys).  (I was quite young when he passed away, so I don't believe he ever told me anything.)  When I started researching on my own, I was so surprised to find out that we even had Stuart and Fowley ancestors. 

I have been in contact with one of Ann's sister's descendants.  If I am remembering correctly, they also knew very little about James' family and his children.  I will have to check the other sisters' families to see if I can find anything - great suggestion to check their families.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi bbart:

Thank you for lurking.   ;)

I believe you (and I?) found a possible death for Sarah Stuart/Stewart.  From the Ontario Deaths,
Sarah Stewart, died 9 May 1878.  Widow of John Stewart, Labourer.  [John not James?   :-\ ]
Church of England [not Methodist?   :-\ ]
Born Ireland.  Death - Consumption, about 9 months.
Informant was Thomas Beatty, M.D., Etobicoke.
  [Note: I believe we determined that Louisa(?) died from consumption and thought that perhaps family members also developed the illness.  Now, thinking about the time frame, perhaps Annie died of the same illness?]

Burial in St. George's on the Hill -
Sarah Stewart, 11 May, 1878.

If I have the correct information, there were only 5 Stuarts/Stewarts buried in St. George's prior to 1930.  Two were possibly James' young children.  One was possibly Annie's sibling (named Louisa).  One was Sarah, Annie's sister.  Annie's other sisters, Rebecca Curzon and Emmeline Dora Mumford are also buried there.

Looking at a spreadsheet that I created a few years ago (with your helpful findings), I typed "Jane - died 4 December 1878?  (born) c1851   (age at death) 27 yrs, Toronto; born Lambton.  I will take a look at that record now.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:52 BST (UK) »
Looking at a spreadsheet that I created a few years ago (with your helpful findings), I typed "Jane - died 4 December 1878?  (born) c1851   (age at death) 27 yrs, Toronto; born Lambton.  I will take a look at that record now.

There's nothing to prove that she is Annie's sister.  The only additional information is:
Jane Stuart
Cause of Death:  Paralysis - 3 weeks
Methodist
Physician:  Dr. L McFarlane, Toronto

I don't have her burial being recorded at St. George's.  That doesn't mean that she wasn't buried there, but it also doesn't mean that she was buried there.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 02:57 BST (UK) »
Lisa, put a red flag next to Sarah's death for now.
I went through the Toronto directories, and every Stuart/Stewart widow Sarah I found, I backtracked to when the husband was living. Two were married to John's, one a tailor (living on Agnes St), and one was a clerk.  There was a third possibility but then my computer froze, so I lost all my notes on 20 yrs of directories ! Argh!  I will resume my hunt in the next few days.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 03:04 BST (UK) »
I almost forgot to mention this, which is of no help, but it might ring a bell with you:
I went through Charles William Field's full military file, not expecting to find anything that would help, but it did say he lost his right arm just below the shoulder and also got a back full of shrapnel for his effort.  Do you recall your Grandpa every mentioning anything about that?