Author Topic: Help finding information my 3x Great-Grandmother, Sarah Barber  (Read 1127 times)

Offline mjanich

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help finding information my 3x Great-Grandmother, Sarah Barber
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 04:23 BST (UK) »
Sarah Barber was born in Reigate, Surrey in 1825. She married William Murdison (who changed his surname to Morrison after moving from Scotland to England) in Bermondsey, Surrey in 1844. They had 4 children:
  • William Morrison Mar 5, 1845 (Bermondsey, Surrey) - ?
  • Sarah Ann Murdison Jan 1849 (Islington, Middlesex) - ?
  • George Murdison Jan 5, 1851 (Marylebone, Middlesex) - Dec 31, 1944 (Chicago, Illinois)
  • Eliza Gray Murdison Nov 7, 1859 (Milton, Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland) - ?
In 1851, they lived in Acton, Middlesex. In 1861, they lived in Islington, Middlesex. On Jul 25, 1862, her husband died in Holloway, Middlesex. In Oct 1864, she remarried to a David Curtis in Hackney, London, who then died on Sep 4, 1868 in Wood Green, Middlesex. From there I lose track of her.

Family stories say that when she married David, her kids didn't like him. George & Eliza went to the United States and Sarah Ann followed not long after. William is said to have gone to Australia and lost track of. I have found absolutely nothing on Eliza, Sarah Ann, or William. George is my 2x Great-Grandfather and I have all information on him aside from his immigration record.

I guess more importantly right now is that I'm looking for information on the mother, Sarah. I would like to find what happened to her after her second husband died. Any information would be really appreciated. Here is the link to her in my tree on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/84099943/person/350004499334/facts

Thank you in advance :)

Offline sandrastocks54

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding information my 3x Great-Grandmother, Sarah Barber
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a Sarah Curtis visiting Thomas Coster and family on Edgeware Road, Willesdon in the 1871 census.  She is aged 45 but no place of birth is given. 

It looks like Sarah and David Curtis had a son, also called David, in 1866, but he died in 1867.

Sarah's daughter Eliza Morrison may be the one visiting the Curtis family at Hubert Road, Wimbledon in 1871.  James Curtis, aged 37, was a builder, so possibly David's brother?

I haven't come across either of them after 1871 yet.

Hope this helps
Sandra

Offline mjanich

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a Sarah Curtis visiting Thomas Coster and family on Edgeware Road, Willesdon in the 1871 census.  She is aged 45 but no place of birth is given. 

It looks like Sarah and David Curtis had a son, also called David, in 1866, but he died in 1867.

Sarah's daughter Eliza Morrison may be the one visiting the Curtis family at Hubert Road, Wimbledon in 1871.  James Curtis, aged 37, was a builder, so possibly David's brother?

I haven't come across either of them after 1871 yet.

Hope this helps
Sandra

This helps a TON! I never realized they had a son that died. And after doing more research on that 1871 census with Eliza, it is beyond a doubt her! James was David's brother. Eliza's age also adds up. This was incredibly helpful so far. I haven't looked into the census with Sarah Curtis yet.

Thank you so much!

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
1871 Census
8 Rutland Terrace Finsbury
Sarah A Morrison born 1850 Islington listed as a visitor age 21 domestic servant
Household of Mary A Goodwin who was born in Clerkenwell