Author Topic: Looking for Minnie JENNINGS (born FARRER) 1864  (Read 1258 times)

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Minnie JENNINGS (born FARRER) 1864
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
I've lost Minnie. I've a fairly good history up until the 1901 census and birth of her second child Alec in Owlerton 1901.
Born Pontefract last quarter 1864
Bap 9 Jul 1865 St Giles Pontefract
in Pontefract 1871, 1881, 1891 census returns (latterly as Schoolmistress)
marries a butcher Joseph Henry JENNINGS at St Giles Pontefract 7 Aug 1893
Daughter Emma JENNINGS born in May 1894 South Featherstone
Son Alec JENNINGS born Owlerton, Yorkshire Feb 1901 (Bap 26 June 1901)

The last sighting I have of Minnie is from the 1901 census for
67a Langsett Road, Wadsley, Sheffield, Yorkshire
which I think is a flat over the butcher's shop - Minnie is her with husband, daughter and newborn, with sister Annetta/e and servant Maud SMITH helping.

By 1911 husband Joseph is living 'over' 33 Gower Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire, still described as married but with a housekeeper Beatrice Maud Marie ASHTON and her three sons in residence. Daughter Emma is with JENNINGS family relatives elsewhere in Sheffield.

I cannot find a death 1901-1911 for Minnie. Did she separate from her husband? Die? Run away? Get incarcerated? Husband Joseph JENNINGS dies in 1935 but Minnie simply vanishes after the 1901.

Ideas, help or sightings please!
David

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Minnie JENNINGS (born FARRER) 1864
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help with Minnie but I don't suppose Joseph marries his housekeeper does he?  It did happen and there is a death for Beatrice M M Jennings in Sheffield right age for Beatrice Maud Marie Ashton - just a thought.

I see son Alec died quite young  :(
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 09:55 BST (UK) »
Ah seems he does tho I haven't found a marriage record yet.

Death for Joseph Henry 1935 administration to Beatrice Maud Marie Jennings widow.

Anyway that's not finding Minnie either!
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
No mention of her when her sister dies in 1929 probate to Emma Reed (could that be niece Emma?)
wife of Ernest Reed.

Marriage in Worksop Dec 1916
Jennings Emma
Reed Ernest W
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:01 BST (UK) »
No mention of her when her sister dies in 1929 probate to Emma Reed (could that be niece Emma?)
wife of Ernest Reed.
Minnie's daughter Emma married Ernest REED in 1916 in Worksop had two daughters and left for the United States - their line is alive and well I think.

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
Doesn't help with Minnie but I don't suppose Joseph marries his housekeeper does he?  It did happen and there is a death for Beatrice M M Jennings in Sheffield right age for Beatrice Maud Marie Ashton - just a thought.

I see son Alec died quite young  :(

Thanks Millipede - lost my reply to this while looking at your later post! No married for Joseph and beatrice that I could find but she does use his name after a while - his will refers to his widow as Beatrice JENNINGS. In 1911 Jospeh describes himself as married and records his marriage to Minnie in the statistics so I'm guessing she was alive but estranged or incapacitated by 1911. I've tried looking for her under her birth name of FARRER but no joy. My strongest hunch is she was institutionalised and lost in the system. But that still doesn't explain why Joseph didn't marry Beatrice - it's as though Minnie was out of the picture but still alive.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
Death for brother John Hodgson Farrer in 1923 probate to sister Annetta so no mention of Minnie there either - she really has disappeared  :-\

Have you got the marriage for daughter Emma in case she was around and witnessed it?

PS Yes I agree, if they didn't officially marry would lead us to believe Minnie was still alive somewhere. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
If she was in a hospital or other institution in 1911, she might just be recorded by her initials - M J - with very little other information.
There is a death for a Minnie Jennings in Halifax Q2 1934, aged 67. It's the only death that comes up for that name and age.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline davidgp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
If she was in a hospital or other institution in 1911, she might just be recorded by her initials - M J - with very little other information.
There is a death for a Minnie Jennings in Halifax Q2 1934, aged 67. It's the only death that comes up for that name and age.
Gadget - thanks for that information - I'd looked but not seen that JENNINGS death - the place is quite significant as she had relatives in Halifax - her sister Drusilla OLDFIELD.
I had another relative who appeared in workhouse/hospital records as CH which matched the exact appearance and disappearance from the family of one Charlotte HARRISON! Could be Minnie went into an institution as MJ as you suggest and later went back to her family