Author Topic: Help with ancestor in Army Service Corps  (Read 1371 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ancestor in Army Service Corps
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
There's more - but slight frustration again! I've been looking at the earlier service with the Royal Sussex Volunteers. There is his service record covering the years 1898 and 1899 only in the 3rd Battalion.  Although they were a part time unit, many volunteered to go to the Boer War with the regular 1st Battalion Royal Sussex and his presence in Chichester would indicate that he had rejoined the militia and was preparing to go to South Africa. His name appears in the Sussex Express of 3 May 1901 on a list of 3 officers and 99 men , including men from 1st and 2nd Militia Battalions, who left for South Africa on 3 May 1901.  The newspaper says they were supposed to have left "several weeks ago" which would explain why he was in Chichester on 31 March that year.

Slight frustration because I find no record for that later service BUT he is listed in the Boer War medal list for the Sussex and, what is more, he then joined the Orange River Scouts, a South African regiment and I find him in their nominal roll.

Got to go shopping!

More in due course.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with ancestor in Army Service Corps
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:19 BST (UK) »
More.
This link, https://archive.org/details/twoyearsontrekb00biddgoog
 is to a book on the Royal Sussex in South Africa although it deals mostly with events before May/Jun 1901 when your ancestor arrived.  It also make clear his presence in Chichester was due to the fact that the Volunteers had been embodied (called up for full time service) in 1899 and remained so until 1902.  He was one of the 2nd Volunteer Company (also called 2nd Active Service Company).  This company was commanded by Captain Beale who first appear on page 272.

I have sent you a PM

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia