Author Topic: best family tree program  (Read 2977 times)

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
best family tree program
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Any suggestions on the best family tree program i was using Family tree maker 2014 but now i have to buy the new version if i want to access the internet.
Taggart, Stewart,Wright, Gordon, Baxter, Caldwell, Wilson, Workman, Leckie,Johnstone, Christie,
Taggarts Shilvodan N Ireland .McKay, McKinnon, Clelland, wilson.

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: best family tree program
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
This gets asked quite a lot and most will reply with the program that they are using.

If you want to see the differences between programs, try this link

http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/home/best-genealogy-software/

It compares what is available from each, and rates them. There is not a lot of difference between the top three to be honest.

Simon

Offline taggg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks
Taggart, Stewart,Wright, Gordon, Baxter, Caldwell, Wilson, Workman, Leckie,Johnstone, Christie,
Taggarts Shilvodan N Ireland .McKay, McKinnon, Clelland, wilson.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:20 BST (UK) »
The burning question I want to ask about every program is, "Is this a stand-alone program that does not store my data online?" I am absolutely not interested in any form of online storage, for several reasons.

First, I often go to archives and search facilities which are out of range of the internet, and it would be a huge nuisance if I can't access my database because there's no wi-fi available and it's stored somewhere in a cloud.

Second, my experience of working with online trees (GenesReunited, MyHeritage, Geni etc) is that they are so d-e-a-d .... S--L--O--W compared with working offline that they drive me nuts.

Third, I am not about to make a free gift of my years of work to some web site that is then going to use it to make money, or to bombard me with spurious 'matches' and 'offers'. (Though the 'matches' can sometimes be quite fun - my favourite was a supposed match with my 2nd great-uncle, who was born, married, brought up 10 of a family, was given a retirement award for 40 years' work and eventually died, all in Banffshire, but according to the 'match' was born in England, allegedly had a second family, with birth dates overlapping those of the genuine family, and died in Australia. I am sure his wife (who also spent her entire life in Banffshire, and survived her husband), never mind his employers, would have been astonished to learn of his double life several months' travel away on the other side of the world.)

Another question is, "can I export just *part* of my tree as a GEDCOM?" I  tried Family Tree Maker some years ago, and it would only export the complete tree. There was no way to select one branch and export that only, or if there was, I couldn't find it. Quite apart from not wanting make free gifts of my work to all and sundry,  I am sure that others would find it just as annoying as I do when a tree with hundreds of individuals arrives, of whom only about 50 are actually relevant. I expect FTM has fixed that by now, to be fair.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
As Simon says, everybody has their own favourite. Mine is RootsMagic which I settled on many years ago after trying most of the others and have upgraded several times since. I believe it meets all the requirements you listed. It stores everything on your computer, although I keep a backup on a 'cloud' server as a precaution.

Many programs, including RootsMagic, have a free version available to download and try for yourself.

Mike.

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
taggg, have a look also through these posts here 'Family History Programs, Tree Organisation, Presentation' www.rootschat.com/forum/technical-help/

I think there might be other main threads here on RC. Will have a look later too.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mike.

I have the free evaluation versions of Legacy v8, RootsMagic and Ancestral Quest, and at least two versions of FTM and one of The Master Genealogist, and am trying to make up my mind which one to get the full version of. What I am actually using is PAF v5.5.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
The first computer I used to compile my family tree was an Amiga using A-Gene, a couple of years later I bought my first IBM computer and transferred the data to it using a serial cable and gedcom.
I used the DOS software version of Brothers Keeper.
As DOS gave way to Windows I upgraded (free) to the Windows version of Brothers Keeper.

Since then I have tried all the many Windows Family Tree programs but still use Brothers Keeper as no other program is a versatile or suits by style of working.

One of the great strentgh of Brothers Keeper is the user can use programs such as Photoshop within Brothers Keeper for photos and images and programs such as Word for text files rather than be restricted to the basic image display or text programs that are embedded in most similar genealogy programs.

Due to the size of my complete family tree I export my data to the program Treedraw (by SpanSoft) which allows me to manipulate the placing of individuals on the tree (to avoid page edges) or to import addition lineages.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Another question is, "can I export just *part* of my tree as a GEDCOM?" I  tried Family Tree Maker some years ago, and it would only export the complete tree.

I'm still using FTM V6 (old Broderbund version) and it will export just parts of trees, although I must admit that how to do so isn't all that obvious.  The trick is to generate a tree (as in descendant, all in one, hourglass etc) and tweak the generations etc to display just the individuals you want to export, then while the tree is displayed select file, copy/export individuals in tree.

Should you ever want to go back to FTM I imagine the functionality is still there.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON