Author Topic: Thomas Patrick Buchanan, a Jersey stray c 1948  (Read 3156 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Patrick Buchanan, a Jersey stray c 1948
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
My aunt Ellen Weir Bankhead (known to the family as Helen) married Thomas Patrick Buchanan in Belfast 20/7/1940. The groom had been discharged from the merchant navy in July 1939. He was an "electrician" on his discharge certificate from the Arundel Castle. Thomas was born 17/3/1916 so is almost certainly deceased. They had two children Brian and Tony. The latter died young in a car accident in USA and had connections with Holywood producer Silvio Narazzano. Aunt Ellen died in Belfast 1982 and the family know nothing about Thomas who vanishes from record after 1948 when a notice of petition for dissolution of marriage was published in a Belfast newspaper . it reads "to Thomas Patrick Buchanan, late of St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands, late merchant seaman and whose whereabouts is presently unknown.....In the matter of Ellen Buchanan in the matter of dissolution of her marriage......" I have drawn a complete blank in online sources (he is not the man of same name who lived and died in Liverpool) and nobody has any idea why he would be in Jersey. Can anybody help or point me in the direction of a source that might be able to help without high expenditure  - I am not in a position to visit Jersey

Many thanks in advance

Matt

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Patrick Buchanan, a Jersey stray c 1948
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Could this be your man?

From Jersey Archive -

Grant of Probate of Edna Mumby, widow of Thomas Patrick Buchanan-Holmes, of 58, Berkeley Court, Don Road, St Helier. Dated 23/07/1974.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
There is a record for a Registrars marriage of Thomas Patrick Buchanan July 1948 to October 1950, volume 36 page 87.

There is a Ena (not Edna) Constance Mumby on the same page.

Stewart

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thanks for the quick response. I had spotted the reference to the probate record but the "Buchanan- Holmes" surname made me think that it was probably not my man. On the other hand there seems to be no hypenated addition to the surname in the marriage index, hmm.
The only way to be sure is if the marriage certificate gives details of groom's birthplace and/or parentage. His father was John Buchanan an "engineer" and mother, Lizzie McCarrol. The birthplace could be variously described as Belfast/Antrim/Ireland. There was also a brother John born 15/8/1913 so conceivably he might be mentioned in the probate. The family rumour is of a second family but nobody has any proof that I know of

Regards

Matt

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
HI Matt

I can probably look at the certificate tomorrow.

Stewart

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Many thanks. If it is my man then the big mystery is what on earth he was doing in Jersey. My wild guess is that this sailor had a woman in more than one port....

Matt

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

For the record, Mrs Edna Holmes nee Mumby died 18th July 1974. She is the widow of Thomas Patrick Buchanan-Holmes and is buried in St Saviours Church graveyard, row 27 plot 10. The account for the funeral from Pitcher and Le Quesne was sent to Mr Michael Holmes at the address previously mentioned.

Stewart

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Stewart

The mystery thickens. I am theorising that Edna/Ena may have had a previous marriage to a Mr Holmes, but this may just be wishful thinking, as all ancestor hunters fall victim to now and then. I hope you do manage to view the marriage details, and IF it is my Thomas then the next mystery will be whatever happened to him - did he die in Jersey between 1948 and 1974 ?

Waiting with bated breath

Matt

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

He's your man!!

On 5th Sep 1950 at the Registrars, Thomas Patrick Buchanan, ages 35 and a bachelor(!!), married Ena Constance Mumby, the divorced wife Harry Holmes.

TPB was living in St. Helier but was born in Belfast. He was the son of John Buchanan, an engineer.

ECM was aged 38 and also living in St. Helier but was from Cleethorpes. Her father was Callis Mundy, a fish merchant.

Witnesses were S. Holmes and I (or possibly V) Webb.

I've done a quick scan of the St Helier deaths from 1948 to 1974 until I found Edna(sic) Buchanan-Holmes death in v76, p75, Mar 1973 to Dec 1974. It could well be I've missed his death or it's in another Parish but it will have to wait until next week.

Stewart