Author Topic: Thomas Patrick Buchanan, a Jersey stray c 1948  (Read 3155 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Patrick Buchanan, a Jersey stray c 1948
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
Stewart

Great ! And very many thanks. Of course this now leads to, did they have a family ? And if he didn't die in Jersey, did he abandon this second wife as well? I have a cousin near Belfast who has/had a very old lady living near her who claims to be Thomas's half sister, but whether she is of clear memory is uncertain. What would it cost to examine the probate record do you think, as that would reveal (you would surmise) any surviving children ?

Happy Matt

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
For me, nothing as I'm a member. I will look next week.

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

Progress!!

I looked through all the deaths (12 Parishes) twice to try and find a death for Thomas Patrick Buchanan-Holmes without success. The only entry in the Archive Catalogue is a mention in the probate record of Edna Buchanan-Holmes.

Then it was suggested I look at the funeral directors records as sometimes a person dies off island and the body comes back to Jersey for burial. Again, nothing.

Then a moment of inspiration(?) I looked at the records for with a surname of Holmes and there he was!

Thomas Patrick Buchanan Holmes died at 15, Bagot Manor Court, St. Saviour on 4th Aug 1973 aged 54 years. He died from a number of heart problems. Ref: St. Saviour deaths Feb 1971 to Dec 1977, page 174.

He is buried in the same plot as his wife.

I then looked at the probate record of Edna. She died intestate and letters of Administration were granted to Michael John Holmes, her only son.

The question is was MJH the son of her first or second marriage? I will look for this later.

Stewart

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Stewart

Many thanks . I am only reading this message now as I didn't seem to get auto notification of your reply. I had been scouring other records for his death (obviously without success). There is a suggestion within the family that a son of the first marriage, who was also a mariner, met (whether intentionally or not is unknown) his father at some point in later life and acrimony ensued.

Once again profuse thanks for all your diligent searching which must have been rather time consuming. If at any point you want anything looked at in the National Records of Scotland that can't be viewed on Scotland's People I will be happy to oblige if I can

Matt

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 October 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
And finally....... TPB was serving on HMS Ready, a minesweeper, on 5/10/1944 when he wrote a letter to his half sister .

Matt