Author Topic: Derwent Tavern/Arms, 94 Glengall Road, London SE15  (Read 1399 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derwent Tavern/Arms, 94 Glengall Road, London SE15
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:49 BST (UK) »
Hi ... does anyone out there have a photo of the Derwent Tavern/Arms that used to stand at 94 Glengall Road, London SE15 (Peckham area)? 

I'm not even sure when it was demolished so if anyone has any info about it that would be much appreciated. 

I have looked online and found a couple of 'old pub' sites with some landlord info etc, but none have photos.

Thanks!  Nina

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Derwent Tavern/Arms, 94 Glengall Road, London SE15
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps an email to Southwark Local Studies Library?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi jennifer c ... many thanks for your reply!  I have already tried the Southwark route I'm afraid ... but thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion.  There must be a photo out there somewhere ...... just a matter of knocking on the right door at the right time to find it  ....
Thanks again, Nina

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 04:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure the posting rules allow me to give a link to a postcard on a certain well-known auction site, but if you put 351925568618 in its search box or search for Glengall Road and select the right one, you'll see a view which I've concluded looks south down the road from where the canal crosses towards the Derwent Tavern and may even show it.

Nitty-gritty: From the "Post Office London County Suburbs Directory, 1919" on the Leicester University historical directories site the building with sign "Bennet's" on the near left (east side) is Bennet's Furnishing which had Nos 47 & 55, but the one on the corner of a road (Bianca Rd) is No 47. In the distance on the same side is St Andrew's Church, which is now the Celestial Church of Christ and has lost its spire.

I think the road on the near right (west side) is the entrance to Camberwell Borough Depot and/or the canal towpath. The terrace of houses is followed by various businesses, Nos 80-92, then Colegrove Road and immediately after it Derwent Tavern. It's just possible this is the building with a little dome on the roof, but I rather fear it's behind the tree.

Take all of the above with a very large pinch of salt. There may be writing or a pub sign on the domed building, but I can't make it out on the thumbnail. This isn't a cheap card, so you won't want to buy it to see, though you could ask the seller.

If no one else come up with anything, I suggest keeping an eye on auction sites and see if a better card appears. I will also look for one at postcard fairs, but be very very patient and save up your pennies. Cards other than main roads don't turn up very often and tend to be priced accordingly.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris ... thanks so much for the ref number to that well known auction site!  I have just had a look at the picture and it certainly looks interesting! And thank you so much for taking the time to look into what numbers the visible buildings would be.  Some of my family lived at numbers 67 and 89 Glengall Road for decades and I am yet to uncover a photo of those houses ... photos of this street seem to be rather like hens teeth.  It certainly could be the Derwent Tavern on the right ... I shall spend some time looking into this.  I wish I could also go to various fairs and have a hunt for postcards ... but as I live abroad I rarely get back to UK.

As an aside, other members of close my family also lived for decades in various houses around Ormside St, Manor Grove (now the Tustin Estate), Ilderton Rd and Upcott St (now Lovelinch close on the Winslade Estate).  I found some good photos of the area before demolition on Flickr (taken from the newly built tower blocks on the Tustin Estate (type the words Ilderton Road into the Flickr search box) and a few after demolition when the area was a vacant site before the estate was built.  I have always tried to locate some street level shots of these roads (some success with Ormside St) but again they seem pretty rare.  If by chance you ever come across any online, please could you let me know?

Thanks for your help re the Derwent Tavern ...

Nina

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Chris ... further to my earlier reply, I have heard back from the owner of the photo and he said he can see what appears to be the word '...west' at the top.  I didn't tell him the name I was looking for.  Perhaps he saw '...went' - the last part of Derwent?  I have also looked at the old Southwark Maps and there seems to be no other PH along that stretch of the road, so it must be the Derwent Tavern.  What are your thoughts?  Nina

Offline Benneth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 February 22 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a photo of a Hathway works outing taken outside an unknown pub in 1920s. Was the pub situated on a corner?
Hathway’s timber works were near Glengall Road.
Thanks
Ben

Offline Benneth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 February 22 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can confirm the picture is of the Derwent Tavern as the Landlord’s name above the door matches the records for the timeframe the photo was taken.
I don’t know how to upload photos on this forum though.
Thanks
Ben

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 February 22 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben,

You are looking for a button that says "attach" it is below the box in which you type in ;)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk