Author Topic: Want a 2nd opinion on what this baptism record translates to.  (Read 1359 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Want a 2nd opinion on what this baptism record translates to.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:09 BST (UK) »
Unless I am badly mistaken, the only Mary mentioned is immediately after the Bap.  So there's probably an error in one of the sources.

There appears to be another Johann? Power in the second list of names.

The problem is that the gender can't be determined without a clear reading of the word ending.

Is it a John or a Joan?
I need to explain myself better.

Geoffrey had six children Ellen born  1868 mother Mary Whittle
                                     Mary born  1870   mother according to baptism Joanne/civil record Mary
                                     Robert born 1873 Bridget born 1873 twins mother Mary
                                     Anne born 1876 mother Mary
                                     Kate born   1880 mother Mary

According to 1911 census Geoffrey was married for 50 years to Mary both of whom are alive.
The fly in the ointment is when their daughter Mary is baptised the mother is not shown as Mary Whittle but the civil registry entry shows daughter Mary is daughter of Mary Whittle.  I guess what it comes down to is the parish register for baptism of their daughter has the wrong name for her mother.......it's simply a mistake....would you agree? IN OTHER WORDS there is no Joanne Whittle who is part of this family

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
I would agree the chances are that this is a mistake if everything else fits for Mary being the daughter of Geoffrey and Mary and, of course, there is no evidence of another Geoffrey Power marrying a Joan Whittle!

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 20:03 BST (UK) »
I would agree the chances are that this is a mistake if everything else fits for Mary being the daughter of Geoffrey and Mary and, of course, there is no evidence of another Geoffrey Power marrying a Joan Whittle!

Jan
This is precisely why I was looking for a second opinion. For whatever reason and I will never know what or why the baptism record has an error in it. On that note, I think we can close on this one now.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to look at this as my second pair of eyes. Much appreciated.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
At this resolution I'm not sure what the words are after Whittle, so can't help with the significance of the last set of names.
notaninch, in case you’re still interested, the words after Whittle are ...

... ten’ a sacro fonte Galfridio Power et Johanna Power = held at the sacred font by Geoffrey Power and Joan/Joanna Power. They are effectively the sponsors.

I would suggest you have two men named Geoffrey. One is the child’s father. The other (the sponsor) may be the child’s grandfather, or another relative.

From what has been said above, I agree that the first Johanna is probably a mistake for Mary. Perhaps the priest was confused by having to record two men named Geoffrey Power and made an error?

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 October 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
At this resolution I'm not sure what the words are after Whittle, so can't help with the significance of the last set of names.
notaninch, in case you’re still interested, the words after Whittle are ...

... ten’ a sacro fonte Galfridio Power et Johanna Power = held at the sacred font by Geoffrey Power and Joan/Joanna Power. They are effectively the sponsors.

I would suggest you have two men named Geoffrey. One is the child’s father. The other (the sponsor) may be the child’s grandfather, or another relative.

From what has been said above, I agree that the first Johanna is probably a mistake for Mary. Perhaps the priest was confused by having to record two men named Geoffrey Power and made an error?
Bookbox the reason I suggested closing this is for two reasons. The first I believe there is an error and that Mary Whittle was the mother. The second is if the priest did make a mistake which I believe he did then what was the actual intended entry for the sponsors. I felt the answer in that lay with me and not the forum to dig a bit deeper.

There are a number of permutations that could explain or answer this conundrum. One of which I intend to follow up with further research is that Mary Whittle had a sister Joan or Joanne who was one of the sponsors and Geoffrey Power like you suggest had a male relative, possibly his uncle or cousin who was the other sponsor along with Joan or Joanne Whittle. If I do get to the bottom of this I will let you know.

Once more many thanks for you help and contribution.

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 October 17 05:55 BST (UK) »
Another line of research would be that Geoffrey Power, the father, had a sister or sister in law named Johanna  (Joan, Joanna, Hannah) Power. On a quick whizz through on FS there are several Johanna Powers from Co Waterford who might be contenders.