Author Topic: Sarah Ann and Mary Ann the same person?  (Read 858 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Sarah Ann and Mary Ann the same person?
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 17:21 BST (UK) »
Despite Ms Strickson only being my 1st cousin 3 times removed I was intrigued as to whether there were 2 girls, one called Sarah Ann and one called Mary Ann.  I have the birth certificate for Sarah Ann born 7 June 1858 in Pinchbeck West, parents William and Sarah Ann Strickson. 

However, on the 1861 census there is a girl called Mary Ann Strickson living with her parents William and Sarah Ann and her brother William born 1859 (He died and another William was born in 1866).

On the 1871 census there is a Mary A aged 12 living with her parents William and Sarah A and 4 siblings (including the 2nd William).

In 1880 Mary Ann married a John Martin Bradford.  I have their marriage cert and it is the correct one, father William a labourer.

The child's mother Sarah Ann registered the birth, so whether she wanted to call her first daughter after herself or whether the registrar muddled up the name of the baby with the name of the mother, or whether they decided having 2 Sarah Ann.s in the family wasn't sensible I don't know.  What I do know is that there is no trace anywhere of a Sarah Ann Strickson born in 1858, apart from the birth cert I have.

As a last resort - and it would have been a lot quicker and certainly cheaper to do this first  ::) I checked on the West Pinchbeck baptisms.  There in black and white is the baptism of a Mary Ann Strickson on 20 June 1858, parents William and Sarah Ann.

I think the lesson learned - where the records are easily available - is to check out everything before spending wasting money on certificates, especially when researching distant ancestors.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann and Mary Ann the same person?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Strickson was baptised in West Pinchbeck on 20th June 1858 and William on 25th March 1860. Also some others later.

David

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks David, I mentioned in my post that I'd found the baptism of Mary Ann on 20 June 1858.  That's the reason I decided that Sarah Ann on the birth certificate and Mary Ann on Lincolnshire baptisms were one and the same person.

I guessed there would be other Strickson's being baptised later but being distant ancestors, 1st cousins 3 times removed, I hadn't bothered with the baptisms of the rest of them, although I might check them out later.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I was just about to go out and didn't notice the last part of your post.

David

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
No problem, it was quite a long post.