Author Topic: Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?  (Read 6498 times)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:52 BST (UK) »
I  am again turning to all of you experts at Rootschat to see if anyone can guess a location on these photos. I believe they are all of the same house. The photo was taken about 1924. I've examined the photos as far as I can in order to come to my conclusions,
I have reduced the photos to required sizes but may still need to post twice. The first two pictures are the front of the house. In close-up I found the name "Hazeldene" on the front gate. I recently came across a tiny clue in a reference to that name in a wedding announcement, listing the family home as Hazeldene, Littlehampton. All my family contacts in the south of England were Bournemouth, Torquay,  and tat area, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we had family a bit further east.
I've scanned street views of many towns using Google Earth. looking for house configurations that might match, but so far nothing. The reference to Littlehampton is by no means a certainty, just an option from a news clipping and the first time I've been able to link the "Hazeldene" to my family name "Hunter"
This one is a real challenge I'm afraid, with little to go on, at least from my point of view. I have no personal time in that part of England so I'm going strictly by old photo albums and whatever my research can uncover.
I also hope that posting under this heading is ok. It seems to be closest to what I am researching and your previous help has been amazing.
So, with that said, I will add the photos here and see where it goes. Many thanks.
Brian in Canada
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
Seemex,

Sorry I can't assist with the photograph locations, but the attached file (https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1918/1918%20-%201122.PDF) has the announcement of this same engagement in October 1918.  This may help narrow down marriage dates, and from a copy of the marriage certificate, identify the address and location of the brides former home.

Further to the above, Googling his name brought up the attached info from an RAF site.  (http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/ID/?7000248003)

Regards

Istrice

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 07:55 BST (UK) »
There is a letter in The Times Nov 08, 1935 from a H D Spooner at that address.

In the same paper Jul 23, 1938 the property is being put up for sale by 'Harrods Ltd'
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 20:31 BST (UK) »
There is a letter in The Times Nov 08, 1935 from a H D Spooner at that address.

In the same paper Jul 23, 1938 the property is being put up for sale by 'Harrods Ltd'

Is there an actual address? Is this the "Hazeldene" in Littlehampton that is mentioned? I can't find the newspaper article, but maybe I don't have access to it.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:28 BST (UK) »
The Hazeldene in Littlehampton was given as 8 St Catherine's Road.

Regards
Roger

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find an actual marriage, I can't see one, I wonder if it took place abroad?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
The Hazeldene in Littlehampton was given as 8 St Catherine's Road.

Regards
Roger

Looking on Googlemaps, it doesn't look like the same house.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:48 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find an actual marriage, I can't see one, I wonder if it took place abroad?

Odd you should mention that. I had the same thought as I'm sure I've seen JEL Hunter with a different bride listed in North China Herald or maybe South China Morning Post

I also see a Muriel Jerome listed later on that fits so maybe the wedding didn't ever take place and he moved on and married someone else

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
In other snippets Charles Jerome is given as of Granville Road,Littlehampton.Off to look at Google Earth.

Regards
Roger