Author Topic: Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Location of photo, maybe Littlehampton?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 October 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
No worries...I just looked on FindMyPast newspapers and that was the address given when the property was put up for sale in 1938 as mentioned earlier.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol  ;D
I think from the F M P 1938 report we can probably rule out both of The Times articles I mentioned earlier.  The trouble is Hazeldene is quite a common name for a house, there is one near me  :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Carol  ;D
I think from the F M P 1938 report we can probably rule out both of The Times articles I mentioned earlier.  The trouble is Hazeldene is quite a common name for a house, there is one near me  :)

Very common - my uncle lived in a bungalow called that but his was on the Isle of Sheppey!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 October 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find an actual marriage, I can't see one, I wonder if it took place abroad?

You could be right Jan..I wonder if this is the same person:

Muriel Irena
Last name   Jerome
Birth year   1896-1900
Place   JOHANNESBURG
Country   South Africa
Volume   10
Page   97
Record source   GRO Consular Birth Indices (1849 to 1965)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, Carol, that's her!

She appears in the UK, Physiotherapy and Masseuse Registers, 1895 -1980 and guess what her address is?

Hazeldene
St Catherine's Road
Littlehampton

Date is 28th Dec 1917 certificate number 4789, under that is written minor, so I guess she was under 21.  Her training was at The National Hospital

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Yeah....nice work Jan...That was on FindMyPast...I got called away just as I opened Ancestry  ::)  ;D ;D
Carol

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone find an actual marriage, I can't see one, I wonder if it took place abroad?

Odd you should mention that. I had the same thought as I'm sure I've seen JEL Hunter with a different bride listed in North China Herald or maybe South China Morning Post

The Times Monday, Nov 08, 1926
J E L Hunter (late R.N.A.S) only son of Mr & Mrs E L Hunter of Shanghai and Mrs Gwendolen Mary Cleaton Mulock only daughter of Mr & Mrs E R Cleaton took place quietly in London on Saturday ....

There seems to be a discrepancy in this J E L Hunter. I have seen him listed at RAF  DFC but also showing as the ONLY son of E L Hunter of Shanghai. Now this is a different wife name completely!
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:20 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, Carol, that's her!

She appears in the UK, Physiotherapy and Masseuse Registers, 1895 -1980 and guess what her address is?

Hazeldene
St Catherine's Road
Littlehampton

Date is 28th Dec 1917 certificate number 4789, under that is written minor, so I guess she was under 21.  Her training was at The National Hospital

Well done Carol & Groom.   The last census has a House different name for No 8  ::)  As said previously the houses in St Catherines bear no resemblance to the photo though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
That's the strange thing isn't it - the houses in St Catherine's road don't look anything like the photo. Is the name just a coincidence I wonder and the photo isn't Littlehampton?