Author Topic: Walter family help  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Raindancer411

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter family help
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My mum and I are looking into the family tree but we have both become very stuck trying to find the birth parents of one of the grandparents.  Details for my 3rd GGrandfather are:

William Walter, born around 1811 in Staffordshire.  He married an Ann Maria Flavell.  I found his dads name is William on the marriage certificate, but thats about it.

Anyway able to help?

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter family help
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there

My mum and I are looking into the family tree but we have both become very stuck trying to find the birth parents of one of the grandparents.  Details for my 3rd GGrandfather are:

William Walter, born around 1811 in Staffordshire.  He married an Ann Maria Flavell.  I found his dads name is William on the marriage certificate, but thats about it.

Anyway able to help?

There is this one.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL3P-6B87

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:59 BST (UK) »
How certain are you that he was born in Staffordshire???

He seems to be a man of mystery

Marriage 21 Sept 1841 St Phillips Birmingham Warwicks
William Walter bachelor full age Cabinet maker King St Dudley father William Walter occ Builder
Ann Maria Flavell full age Spinster Rowley regis father Joshua Flavell occ Innkeeper
witnesses Joseph Gell & James Hines

this looks like him in 1841
King St Dudley Worcs
George Perry 20 Y
Harriet Perry 25 Y
Samuel Parkes 30 Y
WILLIAM WALTER 30 carpenter NO
HO107 1196 6 27 2

I cannot locate him on later census -so all we know is 1841 gives his age as 30 when rounded down to the nearest 5 years and he was not b in Worcs
Then he married in Birmingham
By 1851 his wife Ann Maria is in Rowley Regis wih her parents and her children Helen Walter age 5 b Manchester Lancs and William Walter age 3 b Rowley Regis

By 1861 Ann Maria has the surname Wright states she is married but no husband present Ellen & William have the surname Flavell?

By 1871 Ann Maria is still surname Wright but is now a widow -son William has surname Flavell???

so how are you certain William Walter was b Staffs? I have found william Walter of about same age b Staffs but they are miners or ag labs ???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a Walter family in Dudley.
William Water born 1792 in Rowley Regis s of John and Mary with a wife Ann
Children baptised at Dudley St Thomas
Eliza  12.8.1821
Anne 26.12.1824
Martha 4.2.1827
Mary 9.11.1828
Hannah 15.8.1830.

There is a older daughter Sarah born 1818 on the censuses.

He died 15.3.1870 leaving a Will as a gentleman of Dudley the Parade £6000.

But on the censuses he is a provision dealer,pawnbroker and retired grocer.

It mat be worth a look.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 October 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
How certain are you that he was born in Staffordshire???

He seems to be a man of mystery

Marriage 21 Sept 1841 St Phillips Birmingham Warwicks
William Walter bachelor full age Cabinet maker King St Dudley father William Walter occ Builder
Ann Maria Flavell full age Spinster Rowley regis father Joshua Flavell occ Innkeeper
witnesses Joseph Gell & James Hines

this looks like him in 1841
King St Dudley Worcs
George Perry 20 Y
Harriet Perry 25 Y
Samuel Parkes 30 Y
WILLIAM WALTER 30 carpenter NO
HO107 1196 6 27 2

I cannot locate him on later census -so all we know is 1841 gives his age as 30 when rounded down to the nearest 5 years and he was not b in Worcs
Then he married in Birmingham
By 1851 his wife Ann Maria is in Rowley Regis wih her parents and her children Helen Walter age 5 b Manchester Lancs and William Walter age 3 b Rowley Regis

By 1861 Ann Maria has the surname Wright states she is married but no husband present Ellen & William have the surname Flavell?

By 1871 Ann Maria is still surname Wright but is now a widow -son William has surname Flavell???

so how are you certain William Walter was b Staffs? I have found william Walter of about same age b Staffs but they are miners or ag labs ???

Suz

There is a marriage (on Ancestry) at St Bartho!omews, Birmingham on 3 Feb 1856 between Ann Maria Flavell and Samuel Wright. Ann Marie states she is a widow

Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline domino

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you :D  I have found, in a census Ann Wright and wondered if she remarried. Didn't think of looking for a marriage. It is the Walter side that is proving to be hard to find, past the William, cabinet maker and father a builder. Thank you for taking your time to look..... Iris :D
Walter Kent/Essex/Staffordshire  Pollard Kent/Sufflok
Spunner Kent
Loft Kent
Pidwell Kent/Essex
Ludlow Kent
Flavel / Flavell Staffordshire