Author Topic: Fletcher born in  (Read 5860 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fletcher born in
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Anyone know of the Fletcher family.  Her death cert says she was born in Edinburgh, her parents were Elizabeth Erskine and Ebenezer Fletcher.  Any information on these latter two also would be hellpful.  I have searched pretty thoroughly on Scotlands people.

Thanks Bronwen

Mary Fletcher wife of James Brock and mother of Jane Brock
B:1800 Edinburgh  (can’t find)
M:1832 March 14th James Brock (register to hand)
D:1872 June 8th 7 Portland Place, Hamilton, 72 years old, died of chronic bronchitis, widow of James Brock silk weaver, Alexander Brock, son signed, 4 Whitehall Street, Glasgow (register to hand)
Children 5 (from census)
1819 John Brock, Barony, Hamilton, Scotland (child of Ann McCarthy)
1829 Betty Brock, Gorbals,Hamilton, Scotland (child of Ann McCarthy)
1835 Alexander Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
1839 Jane Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
1839 James Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
Census
1871 Marjory Brock, 2 Leechlee Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, widow aged 69 born in Edinburgh
Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fletcher born in
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have found a James Brock who married in 1832 in Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland. He was married to a Menie Fletcher on the 4 March 1832. The only Menie or Mennie Fletcher I could find was born in 1802 in Kilmoden Argyll. Not sure if these are the people you are looking for but I am able to help out if required.
Regards
Mike Fletcher
Arbroath
Fletcher, Lofthouse, Tressider, Dale, McAllister, Beaton, McInnes, Comrie

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 21:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mike that is fantastic - sounds like I was totally up the pole. 
I have a bit more information since I put this up - but some of this now may be wrong.
Her daughter Jane Brock's death certificate says she was formerly a Fletcher and Wright.
The 1871 census says she was born in Edinburgh.
I have seen her name listed as Menie and various other spellings.

I would appreciate anything going backwards or forwards to ensure I have it right.

many many thanks Bronwen, Christchurch, New Zealand

Mary/Marjory Fletcher (Wright) wife of James Brock and mother of Jane Brock
b.1802 Kilmoden, Argyll, Scotland    (can’t find looked for Wright and Fletcher in Edinburgh between 1795 and 1815)
m.1832 March 14 James Brock, cotton weaver (reg.)
d.1872 June 8, 7 Portland Place, Hamilton, 72 years old, died of chronic bronchitis, widow of James Brock, silk weaver, signed by son Alexander Brock, 4 Whitehall Street, Glasgow (reg.)
Children 5 (can’t find on Scotland’s people) this information from the census
1818 John Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
1829 Betty Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
1832 James Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
1835 Alexander Brock, Hamilton, Scotland
1839 Jane Brock, Hamilton, Scotland – her death certificate says her mother was Marjory Brock, previously Fletcher and Wright
Census
1871 Marjory Brock, 2 Leechlee Street, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, (modern building) widow aged 69 born in Edinburgh

James Brock
b. 
m.1832 March 14 Mary Fletcher (reg.)
d.1866 July 1 aged 78, 48 Muir Street, paralysis for 19 days, Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland, weaver, son Alexander Brock Withall St No. 4 Glasgow signed (reg.)
Census
1832 cotton weaver at time of marriage
1841 James 50, cotton hand loom weaver, Meady Fletcher 40 (not born in county), John 22 cotton hand loom weaver, James 9, Alexander 6, Jean 3.  Lamb St, Gorbals, Lanark
1851 James 60, Mary 50 weaver’s wife, John 32, Betty 22 weaver’s daughter, Alexander 19, Jane 10 weaver’s daughter, James 16.  All males listed are weavers. Father and children all born in Hamilton (Mary was born in Edinburgh) 23 Quarry Road,
1861 James 70, hand loom silk weaver, Margot 63 Pirn winder - someone who wound the yarn onto large wheel like bobbins which were then used to feed the cotton wheels hand loom cotton, Alexander 26 hand loom cotton weaver.  11 John Street, Lanark
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again Michael

This is the marriage details I have from the register.  So I assume these are the banns?  Three dates, did they marry on the last date.

Oddly enough I had just posted yesterday a big query because I have got all the Brocks confused and am not sure who is related to my line.

Beautiful day here in Chjristchirch despite being the middle of winter.

cheers Bronwen

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 August 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
Bronwen,
Thanks for the updates, it will take me a few days research so I will get back to you once I have some information.
Regards
Mike
Fletcher, Lofthouse, Tressider, Dale, McAllister, Beaton, McInnes, Comrie

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 August 18 18:05 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Margory Fletcher to a Robert Wright 7 July 1822 in Hamilton possible first marriage

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 August 18 21:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both.  The dates for the first marriage would work.  Perhaps there are children by this marriage given the years.  I shall do a search on Scotland's people.

If she was married twice as it says she was wouldn't she have married under the name Wright when she married the second time?

Her parents and their 2 children?
FLETCHER   MARY   ANGUS FLETCHER/MARGARET BAXTER   F   09/02/1801   522/    10 137   Kilmodan
FLETCHER   MENNIE   ANGUS FLETCHER/MARGARET BAXTER   F   01/11/1802   522/    10 139   Kilmodan

Possibly Angus' death:
FLETCHER   MILES ANGUS   -----   38   M   25/08/1831   692/2    340 23   Leith South

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
The Barony & the Gorbals were both Glasgow parishes. Whitehall Street was in the Anderston district, west of the city centre, C3 postal district.

Skoosh.

Offline merryhow

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwen, to answer your question about name on 2nd marriage, in Scotland women always marry under their MS. Since official reg. you will see " formally xxx " xxx being their previous married name.