Author Topic: Beattie - NSW, Australia  (Read 2736 times)

Offline davonz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beattie - NSW, Australia
« on: Wednesday 11 October 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find my maternal grand fathers (Thomas Brain Beattie b 1918) family.

I have his birth certificate:
https://www.digitalnomad.nz/images/beattie.thomas.brain.(b1918).birth.certificate.jpg

It looks like the fathers name and info on the mother has been blanked out - not sure why.
The mothers name is: Theresa Eva Shea, she was born in Grafton, NSW. She meet Richard Cecil Hart some years after Thomas was born. Richard, Theresa and Thomas then moved back to Richard's family home in QLD when Thomas was 10 years old.
Thomas Brain then started using he step dads last name of Hart. And was always known as a Hart after this - Military records, marriage, births of kids etc..

I can not find any record of Thomas Brian Beattie existing in NSW BDM, or Theresa having married.

I also looked in the newpaper archives and couldnt find anything, however I have not had much luck there before but other members on here have found stuff I was looking (not mentioning any names JamJar) so maybe I have overlooked something.

Anyways any suggestions/info/help would be great.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Beattie - NSW, Australia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I ask some direct questions

When and where did your maternal grand father die? 
Do you have copy of his death cert and if so, can you please share the info on that registration?

Re the image you have uploaded .... Yes, someone has altered that document.  It has NOT been altered by the NSW BDM.   You may need to consider ordering an official transcription of that NSW BDM registration, but will need to wait until it is 100 years since his birth, so not long now.  The official transcription will include the details that have been blocked out on that image. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:14 BST (UK) »
I am not knowledgeable about NSW certs.  Did you notice this notation added 1977.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, and I recognise the signature of the Principal Registrar who endorsed it.   I can confirm that any alteration in the body of the certificate would have included his initials and be verified by a second officer.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:21 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree JM but wondered if the OP had taken note. 

Died Qld 1978
1978/   C6830   
HART Thomas Brian   
Richard Cecil HART  Teresa O'SHEA

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=60740207&ref=acom

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:25 BST (UK) »
Sands Directory Sydney 1915

Miss Helen BEATTIE, matron Marrickville Cottage hospital, Lilydale St, Marrickville.

May be a co-incidence,  Helen v Nellie.

JM

Offline davonz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

May I ask some direct questions

When and where did your maternal grand father die? 
Do you have copy of his death cert and if so, can you please share the info on that registration?

Re the image you have uploaded .... Yes, someone has altered that document.  It has NOT been altered by the NSW BDM.   You may need to consider ordering an official transcription of that NSW BDM registration, but will need to wait until it is 100 years since his birth, so not long now.  The official transcription will include the details that have been blocked out on that image. 

JM

He died 1978, in Yaleba, QLD
QLD BDM Deaths - 1978   C6830   Thomas Brian   Hart   Richard Cecil Hart   Teresa O'Shea

That was ordered from NSW BDM - but in 1989. That is how it came. The paper its on is that waxy feeling paper. The registar has signed it in red ink. It looks like they put pieces of paper over the fathers and mothers details when copying.

Thomas Brian was born in 1918. Richard Cecil was overseas for WWI in Egypt from 1915 until 1919. So Thomas wasn't his son.

Offline davonz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree JM but wondered if the OP had taken note. 

Died Qld 1978
1978/   C6830   
HART Thomas Brian   
Richard Cecil HART  Teresa O'SHEA

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=60740207&ref=acom

Cando

Yes I had noticed it. I am guessing its prior to Thomas's marriage. He was married in NSW - Guya, 1939.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone with the CDs for NSW BDM could check for the INDEXED surname for Thomas Brian's mother.   I am absolutely positive that the first of those irregular blocks causing the whiteout, does NOT cover up Thomas Brian's birth surname, but rather a third given name for him.  It was not until 1969 (or thereabouts) that NSW BDM registrations for births include surname for the baby.   Mum's maiden surname has been covered by the second of those irregular blocks.

I have read your comment re that's how NSW BDM sent out that image.   I am familiar with their admin process, and I have phoned a relative who was a senior officer at NSW BDM in that era.  I have left a message for him to phone me back.   

JM