Author Topic: Miners in Wales  (Read 2105 times)

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
Re: Miners in Wales
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
I will do that or see if they did go to war - thank you for your help.
Doble.  North. Garrish. Jewell. Gillard.
Vincent.  Spiller. Collings. Board.   
Harris. Manfield. Manning. Salter. Eveleigh.
Strawbridge. Matthews. Sweetland.
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
Were they not called "Bevin boys"

Mike

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 October 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Bevin Boys were young British men conscripted to work in the coal mines of the United Kingdom, between December 1943 and March 1948.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 October 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Bevin Boys were young British men conscripted to work in the coal mines of the United Kingdom, between December 1943 and March 1948.
Stan

I must learn to read the post fully :) :)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 October 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
There are some interesting links on this site - Resources for Welsh Mining Research

http://www.welshmines.org/links/l_rschr.htm

Whilst it may not have details of workers, I do believe it does have details of the pits.

Regards
GS

Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
There are lists of mining accidents on ancestry, you may be able to identify the pits they worked in from that

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember someone telling me that farm labourers were (not sure if they were conscripted) asked to go to Wales to replace miners that were conscripted to France for tunnel construction.  Could this be true ?  If so it would explain why so many went from the same village. 
Devon. NZ. Australia.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 16 October 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember someone telling me that farm labourers were (not sure if they were conscripted) asked to go to Wales to replace miners that were conscripted to France for tunnel construction.  Could this be true ?  If so it would explain why so many went from the same village.

There was no such thing as conscription to the mines in WW1.  However, the number of miners volunteering in the early years did cause some shortages and later on, when conscription came in, men who had been granted conditional exemption from military service were often required to carry out work considered nationally important instead, including mining. 

However, you have to bear in mind that once conscription came in every man between 18 & 41 was deemed to have enlisted for general service or in the reserve, unless they were exempted.  If they were already coal miners at that time then they remained exempt (although this only applied to certain classes of miners), but as the war progressed the government asked mine owners to release more men. 

The Miners Federation ultimately agreed that all 'Class A' men who entered mining after 4 Aug 1914 would be released first, after which it would be extended to all mine workers, based on certain criteria. 

The point I'm trying to make is that men could not simply 'choose' to work in the mines after 1916, so if they were replacing conscripted men then they will probably have been instructed to do so by their local tribunal board as a condition of their own exemption, hence my suggestion that you check for tribunal records.

If they went after 4 Aug 1914 but before 1916 and were medically fit (Class A) then they will have been released to the military per the Miners Federation agreement, unless they then applied for & were granted a special exemption.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline BattyB

• RootsChat Member
  • mum and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 15:00 BST (UK) »
Phew !  That's a lot to take in - will keep hunting for dates.  Thank you for so much detail.

To follow up on above -
I have found a great uncle Charles Henry Doble who, on the 1901 census was aged 30 working as a Collier below Ground - living at Abercarn, Monmouthshire.

Getting there !
Devon. NZ. Australia.