Author Topic: Thomas Crosson marriage about 1834.  (Read 1105 times)

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Crosson marriage about 1834.
« on: Thursday 12 October 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can have more success than I did.
I'm looking for the marriage of a Thomas Crosson/Crossan/Crossen about 1834 probably.
First child (found) born 1835 - but this is from their death registration in 1918! so could be a few years out.
Thomas and his wife Mary Simpson are buried at Raffrey Presbyterian church in 1896, but their records don't go back to 1834 I think.
He is in 1851 Census extracts, and Griffiths in 1863, at Barnamaghery, Killinchy, which is just down the road to Raffrey I believe.
Thanks very much
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Crosson marriage about 1834.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
I should have looked up ancestryireland and the 1851 census , and familysearch.org but jumped in
1823-1837  Tithes Applotment Books  see Irish Genealogy Hub
here is your Thomas Crossans below at Bahernamaghery  ie Barnamaghery, Killinchy.
1823-1837

a single alphabetical list of each name entry,
containing the townland, & year recorded,
with the addition of parish and county

based upon the work of the
Irish Genealogy Hub’s
listing for each parish in Northern Ireland,
which are quicker to lookup if you know the parish!

The relevant original books are in the
Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) Belfast

Killyleagh-Down
Crossan, James-Townland: Ballywoolen Year: 1827-Killyleagh-Down-
Crossen, Andrew-Townland: Cluntagh Year: 1827-Killyleagh-Down-
Crossen, David-Townland: Cluntagh Year: 1827-Killyleagh-Down-
Crossen, John-Townland: Ballymoolen Year: 1827 Notes: John and Samuel-Killyleagh-Down-
Crossen, John-Townland: Ballywoolen Year: 1827-Killyleagh-Down-
Crossen, Samuel-Townland: Ballymoolen Year: 1827 Notes: John and Samuel-Killyleagh-Down-
Crossen, Samuel-Townland: Ballywoolen Year: 1827-Killyleagh-Down-
Simpson, Robert-Townland: Tullyveery Year: 1827-Killyleagh-Down

Killinchy-Down-
Crossans, George-Townland: Bahernamaghery Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down-
Crossans, Thomas-Townland: Bahernamaghery Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down-
Simpson, James-Townland: Ballygowan Year: 1833-Killinchy-Down Crossen, Jackson-

so you may find James or Robert Simpson is the father of your Mary

from http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/C/CrocCrot.htm#cror  its easy to abstract all the Killinchy and Killyleagh heres a starter
Miss   Agnes CROSSEN   .   Killinchy   wife of William Price ; mother of Margaret Jane b. 10 Feb 1868 & bpt. Raffrey Presbyterian Church (regd. Killyleagh
Miss   Mary   CROSSEN   .    Killinchy   wife of Richard McBride ; mother of Elizabeth b. 17 Jun 1855 & bpt. Raffrey Presbyterian Church   PR
Miss   Mary CROSSEN/ CROSKERY   .   Killinchy   wife of George McJury ; mother of William Henry b. 6 Jul 1858 & Ellen b. 20 Jan 1860 & Martha b. 22 Oct 1866 & bpt. Raffrey Presbyterian Church

Finally church records Ros davies guide gives two parishs  Raffrey records start1843
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/PHOTOSwords/KillinchyAll.htm
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/CHURCHES/K_W.htm#Killyleagh 

from the Ros Davies listings it appears the family was Presbyterian but which church did they attend as the growth was on from 1670 in the area with Presbyterian Non Subscribing Church in Balloo townland, on the Killinchy to Saintfield road  it looks like you have a good chance of finding that marriage ie dont give  Good luck Jim

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Crosson marriage about 1834.
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 17 08:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for finding this Jim.
I had looked at the Tithe Applotment Books on the National Archives site before, (which boasts they have the TABs on there and searchable and makes it sound as if everything is on there) but couldn’t find any Crossans in Down.
However, it would seem the records on National Archives are very thin on the ground for Down - in fact there are only a couple of parishes on there. (I wish they had made that clear before I wasted time trying to search!)
It’s great you knew of another site that has obviously transcribed the records for Down  more fully. A pity they are just transcriptions though - I think NA’s link to an image of the actual Book. How would I go about getting an image for the Killenchy ones do you know? - have to get someone to go to NLI and take photos? Not something I can be doing from the other side of the world!

I have seen rosdavies’ site with lots of information As you say, it appears the family were Presbyterians. Her site seems to say most of the registers of those Presbyterian churches mentioned around Killinchy that go back beyond Raffrey (1843), have been filmed & transcribed by LDS. Not found Thomas Crossan’s marriage anywhere on there, or his birth about 1808, so I’m at a loss as to where to go next! (other than think I will never find him!).

I have looked at ancestryireland.com, but failed to find any of the family on there too.

Many thanks for your help and interest.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs