Author Topic: Trying to make sense of my ancestor's army record  (Read 1611 times)

Offline John19Plas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to make sense of my ancestor's army record
« on: Thursday 12 October 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching my Great Uncle's WW1 army career. Prior to the war he had been a regular soldier in the 1st battalion RWF, serving as private on the North West Frontier (Relief of Chitral) and in the Boer War where he achieved the rank of corporal.  He left the army in 1902, but when war broke out in 1914, he joined up with the Cheshire Regiment. I have two photos which clearly show him wearing the cap badge of the Cheshires. I also have his medals and a copy of the medal card. His number was 714, but both card and medals tell me he was in the Rifle Brigade and subsequently the Labour Corps.
Could anyone suggest why he might have moved to the Rifle Corps from the Cheshires and can his service number explain which batallions he might have served in and the date of enlisting. He first entered the theatre of War in France in December 1915 a day short of his 45th birthday. His age, I guess, explains why he was ultimately transferred to the Labour Corps.
Thanks

Offline jane harrison

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to make sense of my ancestor's army record
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 October 17 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm researching my Great Uncle's WW1 army career. Prior to the war he had been a regular soldier in the 1st battalion RWF, serving as private on the North West Frontier (Relief of Chitral) and in the Boer War where he achieved the rank of corporal.  He left the army in 1902, but when war broke out in 1914, he joined up with the Cheshire Regiment. I have two photos which clearly show him wearing the cap badge of the Cheshires. I also have his medals and a copy of the medal card. His number was 715, but both card and medals tell me he was in the Rifle Brigade and subsequently the Labour Corps.
Could anyone suggest why he might have moved to the Rifle Corps from the Cheshires and can his service number explain which batallions he might have served in and the date of enlisting. He first entered the theatre of War in France in December 1915 a day short of his 45th birthday. His ag, I guess, explains why he was ultimately transferred to the Labour Corps.
Thanks
Much more a later date but my husband served in the territorial army for 3 years then went on to serve in the guards for 12 years  his army number was often queried as it was not consistant with guards reg no  because it was  his old number from the T/A could your G Uncle have taken/kept  his original number

Offline John19Plas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 October 17 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
Thanks for your reply. I believe Sam enlisted in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in 1889 at the age of 18. His original number was 2365. He served in India from where he returned in, I think, 1897. It's possible that he then went into the reserves until the outbreak of the Boer War two years later. In 1902 he married and settled down to a life in civvie street before volunteering again in 1915. Might he have been assigned a new number if he went on reserve in 1897?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 October 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
What was his name?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John19Plas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 October 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
Samuel Evans. His number was actually 714 not 715 as I first posted.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 October 17 10:15 BST (UK) »
The medal card relate only to those regiments he served overseas with so if he transferred from Cheshires prior to going overseas to the Rifle Brigade and then Labour Corps  only the last two would figure on the card. 

The dates you give for his first service would suggest a standard 12 year engagement, initially 7 active and 5 on the reserve but if he was overseas at 7 he would do eight active and 4 reserve.  So being recalled for the Boer War makes sense as does finishing in 1902.  He would have retained his original number RWF when he went on the reserve element of his first service.  He would then be given a new number when he joined up in 1914 and the other number is his Labour Corps number. 

Having his name and number helps!  The first regiment was the Rifle Brigade not the Rifle Corps (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) they are different regiments.

Why transfer - the army put folk where they were needed at the particular time.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline John19Plas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 October 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Max! That is really very useful and clarifies a number of things. However, I've just rechecked his medal card and see that in fact he has two numbers. The 714 refers to the Rifle Brigade, whilst his LC number is given as 360619. So, just to summarise, the inscription on his WW1 medals reads "714 SJT. S. EVANS. RIF. BRIG". His service in the LC is not acknowledged. Presumably this is because the LC was considered to be less prestigious?

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 October 17 14:12 BST (UK) »
A bit more research suggests that something has gone wrong with his medal records (not wholly unusual given the numbers).  You are right that the card showing his RB and Lab Corps numbers etc shows the theatre of war as France but that looks like an error.

The medal roll associated with his 1914-1915 Star, to which he was later confirmed as not eligible, gives his RB battalion as 19th Battalion.  I am now aware that 19th Bn was made up in late 1915 of men serving in the Supernumerary Companies of a number of Territorial Force infantry regiments, among them the Cheshires.  Their task in UK was home defence, the protection of vulnerable points.

That explains his transfer from the Cheshires* to the RB more clearly.

The date to theatre in December 1915 coincides exactly with the first deployment of 19 RB overseas, not to France but to Egypt where they were to be used in a similar guarding and protection role, freeing other battalions for the fighting tasks.

There is another medal card prepared after the war when he applied for a medal (presumably the 1914/15 relating to his service in Egypt).  This has his Labour Corps number and confirms he was previously 19RB.  It is also useful in that it shows he was in 812 Company Labour Corps, which was in Egypt.  That card is on Ancestry with the wrong Labour Corps Company number! (search S Evans 312/Labour 19th Rifle Brigade (TF).  That company was formed in mid 1917 in Egypt in the Palestine Lines of Communication element of the Middle East Force, the same organisation as 19th RB was in.

As to the engraving.  Men who served overseas first in the Labour Corps had Labour Corps on their medals, one who served first overseas with another regiment had the first regiment engraved.  It had to do with who kept their initial records.

His ineligibility for the 1914-1915 Star, even though it seems he was in Egypt before 31 Dec 1915, may well be hidden in the (very) small print that excludes certain parts of the Egyptian theatre.  The notes on the cards do not explain it.  He is not the only 19 RB man later shown as non eligible.  I will dig a little further on this.

MaxD

*As an aside, luckily it doesn't confuse things because we don't have his records but he will have had another number when he first joined the Cheshires, they all had their own numbering system.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline John19Plas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Max,
I could never understand why he was ineligible for his 1914/15 star. You've solved another mystery! The fact that he appears to have served in Egypt is not entirely a surprise. My late father maintained he served in Mesopotamia and Gallipoli. He may have been nearer the mark. I also have a photo of him in what appears to be tropical uniform and with his RB cap badge visible.
Thanks once again for your help.