Author Topic: Mitcalf/Moir marriage help  (Read 1963 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitcalf/Moir marriage help
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:45 BST (UK) »
Shields Daily News 14 August 1874 has this

James Metcalf died yesterday from injuries recieved by being run over on the railway at Wallsend,Deceased lived at Ravensworth Pit Row Wallsend.

Above says he was 6 years old but article in the Shields Daily Gazette the day before says he was a staithsman and 46 years of age and gives detail of the accident.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
James is still with parents in 1851

Thomas Metcalf 58
Hannah Metcalf 52
Matthew Metcalf 20
James Metcalf  18
Mary Metcalf  36
Margaret Metcalf  8

James' baptism date is 9 Dec 1832 at St. Peter's, Wallsend, Northumberland, England

Father Thomas is from Yorkshire (varies on the 51, 61 and 71 census as to where)

On the 1851 census, the pob for Thomas has been transcribed as 'Masher' on familysearch. This is probably Masham, Yorkshire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 October 17 15:59 BST (UK) »

James Metcalf died yesterday from injuries recieved by being run over on the railway at Wallsend,Deceased lived at Ravensworth Pit Row Wallsend.

Above says he was 6 years old but article in the Shields Daily Gazette the day before says he was a staithsman and 46 years of age and gives detail of the accident.

William

That fits nicely with the 1871 census where they are living in Ravensworth Street and James is a waggon teemer. A teemer worked on the coal staithes, tipping the coal from the wagons into the holds of the ships below.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:17 BST (UK) »

William

That fits nicely with the 1871 census where they are living in Ravensworth Street and James is a waggon teemer. A teemer worked on the coal staithes, tipping the coal from the wagons into the holds of the ships below.

This burial from DRO seems more likely for Ann, though the age doesn't fit: 1873, Ann Metcalf of Ravensworth Street aged 43.
2 q. 1873, Tynemouth 10b, 100

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
This is all brilliant thank you so much. I knew there were lots of Metcalfs in Yorkshire but I had expected mine to have come over from Ireland.

Ann Moir... if she had already had one child is there any reason they would have had a border marriage? She wasn't too young. Would the (known) irregular border marriages be on the IGI? which I did already try before asking here.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:23 BST (UK) »

William

Oh poor James and his family. I will have to try the library to see if I can get access to that newspaper via the British Newspaper Archive or Find My Past.

Thank you William.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Mary Metcalf appears to be in Tynemouth Workhouse in the 1881 census - recorded as born 1868 Howdon,Northumberland.

Wonder if the death in 1873 for Margaret Metcalf might be for the youngest -address given as Rose Hill which is where,I think, James's older brother William is living in 1818.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
Wonder if the death in 1873 for Margaret Metcalf might be for the youngest -address given as Rose Hill which is where,I think, James's older brother William is living in 1818.

That's very likely as Rose Hill was adjacent to Ravensworth Street
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/431825/566933/12/100615

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 October 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
A James Metcalf b Wallsend 1864 is on the Channel Islands census 1881 on vessels.

William