Author Topic: Cowie  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cowie
« on: Friday 13 October 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
I have a DNA match and I am trying to connect our Cowie family tree but not being successful.
My match's Cowie is -

David Cowie 1791–1853
Born 1791 • Carnsie, Stirlingshire, Scotland
Death 18 July 1853 • Scotland

Cannot find the parents of David Cowie nor a place named Carnsie - can any help?

Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cowie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 October 17 19:05 BST (UK) »
Cannot see a birth for him but the nearest place name I can think of is Campsie.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 October 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
There is a David Cowie, aged 60, born Campsie, at Garrion Farm, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire in the 1851 census, with wife Janet, 55, born Slamannan; daughter Margaret, 20, born Falkirk and granddaughter Margaret, 10, born Glasgow and two servants.

Margaret Cowie, daughter of David Cowie and Janet Arthur, was baptised in Falkirk on 22 January 1826.

Is this the David Cowie you are looking for?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.
Yes I am sure that is the same David, certainly his wife's details match and also his daughter, but it was unexpected he was born in Cambusneathen, but no luck so far in finding his parents.

Can you help with my side/brickwall -

Peter Cowie b. abt 1730 'of Falkirk' m. 6 Dec 1755 Janet Simpson, abt. 1730 'of Falkirk', (OPR noting the marriage it stated ' son irregular') - son Robert Cowie b. abt. 1756 Falkirk. Interested in find the parents of Peter Cowie if you can help?

If there is a connection between David Cowie and my Cowie line then it must be farther back in time from Peter Cowie.

Thanks
Allen
Aberdeen
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
it was unexpected he was born in Cambusneathen
No, he was born in Campsie and living in Cambusnethan.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 12:41 BST (UK) »
So born in Campsie but in 1851 at Garrion Farm, Cambusnethen.
Where is Campsie?

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
OK got it

Campsie is a civil parish in East Dunbartonshire, Scotland. The parish was formerly part of Stirlingshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
Campsie is a civil parish in East Dunbartonshire, Scotland. The parish was formerly part of Stirlingshire.
Yes, for purposes of 19th century genealogy it's Stirlingshire.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 October 17 10:36 BST (UK) »
Possible connection:

William Cowie and Agnes Watson had Alexander (1726), William (1727) and Patrick (1730) all at Falkirk, Stirling. This Patrick (1730) may be your Peter. (Patrick/Peter were used interchangeably.)

Now:
Alexander (1726) and Agnes Jack had Alexander (1757) at Saint Ninians, Stirling.
Alexander (1757) and Margaret Liddell married 1781 at Kilsyth, Stirling.
I can find no births to this couple until Margaret (1795) and Agnes (1798) both at Kilsyth, Stirling.
I’m thinking David (say 1785-91) is an unrecorded birth of this couple because of the naming pattern of David’s own children. His first son and second daughter are Alexander and Margaret and given the regularity of the baptisms there would appear to be no missing children in at least the first four:
Alexander (1819 Glasgow) after David’s father; Mary (1821 Falkirk, Stirling); James (1823); Margaret (1826 Falkirk, Stirling) after David’s mother; David (1832 Falkirk, Stirling).

So, it is possible that your match’s (David 1785-91) possible great (whoops - simply grandfather) grandfather Alexander (1726) is a brother of your Peter/Patrick (1730).

There was more than one Alexander Cowie in Stirling at the time so please carefully test my findings.

The details are all from familysearch.org.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.