Author Topic: Cowie  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cowie
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 October 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter, thank you for your thoughts on the problem.
I was unaware of the of the interchangability of Patrick & Peter so that opens up new avenues of research.
I am inclined to agree with your fair approach with limited information, so having no other information I shall adopt your suggestions with caution.
I ran your suggested Cowie connection through my relationship calculator and it resulted in a 6th cousin connection as opposed to a 5th cousin connection via DNA matching, so quite close!

Thanks 
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 October 17 18:28 BST (UK) »
Peter Cowie b. abt 1730 'of Falkirk' m. 6 Dec 1755 Janet Simpson, abt. 1730 'of Falkirk', (OPR noting the marriage it stated ' son irregular') - son Robert Cowie b. abt. 1756 Falkirk. Interested in find the parents of Peter Cowie if you can help?
If you are finding so-called 'records' saying 'of ....' and 'about....' then they are not to be trusted. They are often assumptions and guesses, not real information indexed from original records.

In this case there is a genuine baptism of Robert Cowie, parents Peter Cowie and Janet Simpson, in Falkirk on 19 September 1756. Have you seen the original of this baptism? What does it say?

There is also a genuine record of the marriage of Peter Cowie to Janet Simpson in Falkirk on 6 December 1755. Have you seen the original of this? Does it tell you anything useful?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Allen Butler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree with you but as I recall I found information via the local LDS facility over 20 years ago when I first started family history research. Perhaps I should revisit the records in Edinburgh/Scotlands People.
Being OPR's surely they will be one line entries i.e. no certificate? Perhaps this is where I got the 'of' from.

All comes down to time & money!
Butler in Hampshire, Sussex, Middlesex, London;also special interests including Bramshott, Empshott, Selborne, Faringdon, Tuxlith/Milland, Rogate, Midhurst, Liphook, Greatham, Hampstead.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 09:04 BST (UK) »
I tend to agree with you but as I recall I found information via the local LDS facility over 20 years ago when I first started family history research. Perhaps I should revisit the records in Edinburgh/Scotlands People.
Yes, or on microfilm which you can get at free of charge in various libraries, or for a small fee at LDS Church libraries including the one just off Anderson Drive in Aberdeen. The LDS site has only an index to the OPRs, which is incomplete, contains guesses and estimates, and also contains information submitted to the LDS which is not reliable. (It has, or used to have, among other curious information, the complete family of the Norse gods, parish of Valhalla.)

Being OPR's surely they will be one line entries i.e. no certificate?
Yes, but baptism records in particular often include information not in the indexes, such as the names of witnesses.

All comes down to time & money!
Indeed.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kenda1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 March 18 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a Peter Cowie b abt 1802 Falkirk married Elizabeth Taylor on 30/11/1827.

I can't get back any further - any link?