Author Topic: Gedmatch Genesis - problems?  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gedmatch Genesis - problems?
« on: Saturday 14 October 17 11:49 BST (UK) »
My top matches on Gedmatch Genesis were generally quite strong but over the last week or so I have had a raft of new "top matches" which are quite poor.  It seems that they are now rating top matches solely on number of generations and ignoring everything else.  Had anyone else noticed this?
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch Genesis - problems?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
They can only estimate the number of generations which depends on the shared DNA and how it is spread across the chromosomes.  For the kits I manage the best matches are still at the original version of Gedmatch.  The Genesis database is not as large yet.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch Genesis - problems?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
I have just uploaded to the main site and "strong" matches on Genesis, who have kits on both, don't appear on my matches on the main site!  I assume this is because of the numbers using each as you say.  But it still doesn't explain why a raft of new top matches appear to be weaker than the ones below them.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport