Author Topic: A database of existing English Roman Catholic Registers?  (Read 6862 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A database of existing English Roman Catholic Registers?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 October 17 08:29 BST (UK) »
Are any of the records on Lan OPC from catholic registers?
I have seen some rellies on there noted as 'RC', but they are in the C of E  parish registers.
There were a lot of catholics in the north of England

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 17 09:06 BST (UK) »
I have seen some rellies on there noted as 'RC', but they are in the C of E  parish registers.
Yes. Some of my mother's family are on. My paternal grandparents marriage is as well but not any of their children.There are quite a few Catholic records on LAN OPC. It has a "What's New" section on the Home page. It has some early baptisms for a few parishes and some early 20th century ones for others. Haven't found any R.C. registers for Preston on it yet but I found a transcript of St. Wilfrid's  burial register by serendipity. I tried to post a link but it didn't work.

Catholic Record Society published  transcripts of some registers 100 years ago. One volume has Fylde registers.
The priest of St. Peter's, Lancaster 200 years ago used to write comments in the burial register.

Cowban

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 October 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hot off the press! The Margaret Higgins Database. Catholic records 1607-1840. Launched Oct. 2017 at Catholic Family History Society seminar. 250th Anniversary of Papists' Returns 1767.

Brilliant find, thanks. Apparently the database will be available online later this year.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 October 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
A few years ago maybe 4 I was in Lancashire Archives and a gentleman was filming registers. I was trying to take a photo of a map on my little camera and he offered the use of his tripod. He turned out to be filming the RC Diocese of Salford Registers for lan-opc who had been given permission to film and transcribe the records. Over the subsequent years a number of Salford RC Diocese records have appeared on  lan-opc and are still appearing. Their transcribers do a grand job.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 October 17 09:25 BST (UK) »
Yes. Some of my mother's family are on. My paternal grandparents marriage is as well but not any of their children.There are quite a few Catholic records on LAN OPC. It has a "What's New" section on the Home page. It has some early baptisms for a few parishes and some early 20th century ones for others. Haven't found any R.C. registers for Preston on it yet but I found a transcript of St. Wilfrid's  burial register by serendipity. I tried to post a link but it didn't work.

Catholic Record Society published  transcripts of some registers 100 years ago. One volume has Fylde registers.
The priest of St. Peter's, Lancaster 200 years ago used to write comments in the burial register.

Thank you Maiden Stone.
I will take another look at LanOPC today.
My Lancashire catholics are mostly in Leigh, St Helens/Haydock/Blackbrook and Ormskirk.

Online Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
Link about the RC database mentioned:-

http://whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/news/thousands-catholic-records-available-new-database

Blue

Not sure if it's the format I'm using, but when I click on the link and then on the links in the list on the 'Catholic Family History Society (CFHS)' nothing happens
http://catholicfhs.online/index.php/contact-us/membership.html

Offline Jill Eaton

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hot off the press! The Margaret Higgins Database. Catholic records 1607-1840. Launched Oct. 2017 at Catholic Family History Society seminar. 250th Anniversary of Papists' Returns 1767.
That's excellent news  :D
Davis - Berkshire & London
Sutcliffe - Yorkshire & London
Harrington - Ireland and London
Fuller - Cambridgeshire and Essex
Waldron/Waldren - Devon & London
Frisby and Lee - Leicestershire
Hollingsworth - Essex
Williams - Ireland? and London
Ellis, Reed & Temple - London
Lane - ?
Surplice/Surplus - Cambridgeshire
Elwood - Cambridgeshire

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
I don't see any Catholic registers on St. Helens page.

Coverage is patchy. Navigating pages for some large towns with many districts and dozens of churches, it's not always clear what denominations they are. If I was searching a large town I might look on GEN UKI first to get names of Catholic churches, then go to LAN OPC to see if the registers were on there.

Under " Resources" on the Wigan pages on LAN OPC all churches in Wigan are listed in 3 denomination tables with date of earliest record for each. LAN OPC has registers for only 1 R.C. Wigan church, starting  1855. Earliest R.C. register in Wigan is St. John's baptism register which dates from 1732. I was surprised how early it began.
Salford R.C. Cathedral; Baptisms 1843-1920; confirmations 1856-1874; marriages 1845-1893; conversions 1876-1926; deaths 1880-1940.
Earliest I noticed on the site was St. Mary, Chipping, baptisms 1780-1856.
The Blackburn page has baptisms from St. Joseph's workhouse.
Burnley, St. Mary of the Assumption, baptisms & marriages from 1820-1910.
Bury, St. Marie, baptisms 1825-76, marriages 1834-1924.

The above is a selection from a quick browse.
Cowban