Author Topic: Honorary Law Degree  (Read 481 times)

Offline Snudge21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Honorary Law Degree
« on: Saturday 14 October 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
I am looking into how a Dr James McKnight LL.D (1801-1876), journalist and tenant right campaigner, obtained his honorary law degree. There is a quote from The Irish Times in 1976 saying that "he received the LL.D from Aberdeen", now whether that refers to the Earl of Aberdeen or the University of Aberdeen I am not quite sure. I know he was using LL.D after his name in 1853 due to a court circular from The Times which talked about his meeting with the Home Secretary Viscount Palmerston.

Any ideas?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honorary Law Degree
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
Found via google:
https://archive.org/stream/officersgraduate00univuoft/officersgraduate00univuoft_djvu.txt

Officers and graduates of University [and] King's College, Aberdeen

1848, January 15. Jacobus McKnight, Londonderry.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.