Author Topic: Samuel DOWNING, 1787-1864  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel DOWNING, 1787-1864
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 October 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, maddys52 and dcbnwh, for your further contributions, which are much appreciated.

The names of Samuel and Amy's children that are known so far are (from Spelsbury baptisms):

1816 Elizabeth   
    1817 Emma
    1820 Samuel George ("Privately")
    1822 George Samuel ("Admitted") [perhaps the same child as in the previous entry]
    1824 Joseph Godfrey

Yes, I know Amy's age was entered as 88 in that death registration.  I believe that is the right person and it could be a clue that the 1776 baptism is the correct one.  On the other hand, age at death can easily be wrong, as the deceased is sometimes the only person who really knows.  Her age in the censuses varies, e.g. 50 (i.e. 50 - 54) in 1841.  I see there were five places in Yorkshire called Clifton (in 1831).

Best wishes.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
 I was looking at another family this morning and found the mother's age to be roughly the same as the possible Amy for the last four children.  In this case, it was possible to confirm the year of her baptism as 1795 and those of the children.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGD8-ZFM

David

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 October 17 07:31 BST (UK) »
Death notice for Amy:

"Downing - 9th inst, at Forest Gate. Amy, the beloved wife of Mr Samuel Downing, late of Rayne."

Chelmsford Chronicle, Friday, December 18, 1863, Issue 5153, p.3.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 October 17 10:50 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, maddys52, for Amy's death notice.  I don't know why she died at Forest Gate.  It also serves to confirm that the West Ham death registration is the right one. 

dcbnwh, I take your point about the example of the mother who gave birth at an advanced age.  I can't tell whether the 1776 baptism of Amy Hudson is Samuel's Amy.  Is an image of the entry to be seen anywhere?  I wonder what the chances are that there was another Amy (or Amelia)Hudson baptism in a Clifton in Yorkshire.

Kind regards.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 October 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
There is nice obituary for Joseph Godfrey DOWNING in the Chelmsford Chronicle December 16, 1892, I could attach it if you haven't seen it? Describes him as a pharmaceutical chemist and wine merchant (I like that combination!) and noting that he settled in Baintree in 1848. His address at High St Baintree being very close to Rayne Rd, I suppose is why his parents were at Rayne. As you say, not sure why Amy died at Forest Gate.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 October 17 02:39 BST (UK) »
And a nice obituary for Samuel George DOWNING in the Ipswich Journal 6 April, 1895 I could also attach if you want it? Doesn't say anything about his family though, except that he was Medical Officer in Gilsingham for 48 years.

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 October 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, maddys52, for your mentions of the two obituaries.  Much appreciated.  I won't ask you to attach them.  I am mainly interested in fill in the gap in Samuel Downing's life, which, thanks to your newspaper references, has been narrowed to about 1828 to 1838.  Was he gamekeeper or publican, and where?

With renewed thanks.