Author Topic: Old Family Tree Maker  (Read 5233 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Old Family Tree Maker
« on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction!
I started my research very many years ago using Family Tree Maker. I am not sure of the version; I no longer have the discs. Two years ago I bought a new computer with Window 10 and I was unable to transfer the programme, together with all my information, to the new computer. I didn't do anything about it as I hadn't done any new research in a while.
Now, I'm fired up again and raring to continue with my research. How do I go about uploading all my old information on my new computer (I still have the old one). I'm hoping there must be a way. I really don't want to start imputing from scratch; it would take years!!
But unfortunately, I am not all that computer savvy.
Hopefully there will be a simple way, that even I can manage.

Yours hopefully!!
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Old Family Tree Maker
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill

Are you savvy enough to fire up the old computer, open windows (file) explorer, navigate to the FTM data folder, and note the full file name and last modified date of the file(s)?

That should give us a rough idea of what ftm version it is ( or isn't, if you see what I mean )

Then we can move on from there (hopefully)

While you are on the old machine, copy off all the data files that you see onto a usb stick?

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Just to point out though that old versions of FTM no longer sync with Ancestry, the only one that does that is the 2017 version. However, I presume that if you haven't done any FH for a couple of years you wont have an Ancestry sub anyway.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
If you want to know the version of FTM, it will be displayed on the splash screen (the graphic that displays whilst the program is loading) or alternatively from the Help menu select About FTM and this will tell you the version.
Shame you haven't still got the discs, as many older versions still work with Windows10 - I am using FTM2005 quite happily (although a recent W10 update did briefly knock it out until I ran the FTM repair).
I believe many current family tree programs will open FTM files. If not you can save as a Gedcom.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
 ::)

No discs (as per original posted request)

Trying to get "OP" to answer 1st Q ?

;D

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:06 BST (UK) »

You can only save as gedcom if you can actually open the file to start with.

Gill, Please pm (personal message) me?
Can see that you have been online to rootschat since earlier messages . . . . .

Ray

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:10 BST (UK) »

You can only save as gedcom if you can actually open the file to start with.

Gill, Please pm (personal message) me?

R

I know you are trying to be helpful Ray, but if Gill does this via PMs anyone with the same problem won't know how to resolve it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
::)

No discs (as per original posted request)

Trying to get "OP" to answer 1st Q ?

;D
No need for the eye roll Ray. I did say "Shame you haven't still got the discs" !!
And viewing the splash screen or the About is a far more reliable method of finding the version.

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
Right!  Thanks for the comments up to now. This is where I'm at.
I have Family Tree Maker 2010 on my old computer. I now remember, this was not the original version i used. When I installed the 2010 version i had no end of trouble. I obviously did get it to work with my old files, but I cannot remember how.
I have found the CD "Who do you think you are Family Tree Maker version 4". I have installed it on my  current computer. The icon Family Tree Maker 2010 appears on my home page, but it won't run. I get the message that it was not properly closed last time, and that I may need to compact files. It says to choose compact files from the tools menu. I have searched all over, even googled, but cannot find how to do this.
??
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN