Author Topic: Old Family Tree Maker  (Read 5226 times)

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Old Family Tree Maker
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 12:06 BST (UK) »
oopps
My files are GEDCOM files !
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 12:14 BST (UK) »
Ahhh...as I understand it FTM cannot open .gedcom, which is data only; FTM can only import the data. I have pm'ed you my email address, send me the .gedcom & I will try to import it into FTM2010 & email you the .ftw which should open. Worth a try.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Again, not a technical whizz but have you tried uninstalling & reinstalling the programme on new computer?
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Just re-reading this thread gbuttery and have noticed you have said "Is there one that will just accept my files (PAF I think!!?) that I have saved from the old computer".

If they are indeed PAF files then this software is still available, albeit no longer from LDS.  See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777392.msg6312049#msg6312049

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you. That's definately something to look into. Will have to wait until weekend now, but thanks again.

Just noticed my reply to Mosey hasn't  appeared.
I have tried uninstalling and installing again, a few times, but with no luck.

Gill
Looking for ALMEY / ARTON / ASSERT/ ATKIN / BOWMAN / BRANTON / BRIGGS / BUTTERY / CAMPEY / CARLILE / CARTER / CLIFFE / FARNELL / FORD / FOWL/ FROKINGHAM / FROW / GIESLER / GODDARD / HODGE / KIDD / MAUD / MEINECKE / PEERS / POOL / PROCTER / ROBINSON / SMITH  / SPEED / TRIMINGHAM / TUTE / UFFINDELL / WINN

Offline Bruiser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 October 17 10:03 BST (UK) »
G'day Gill,

If you are still unable to open your gedcom file using your old FTM and are thinking of moving to another programme I can thoroughly recommend Rootsmagic 7 Essentials. I have recently helped two younger cousins install this FREE software on their computers and found it very straightforward to do. I use FTM 2012 myself but have had a few glitches of late and I will probably move to this programme in the future.

Just search for Rootsmagic Essentials Free and you can view the information on it. There is a yellow Features button on the page that you can click which will allow you to compare the free version with the paid version side by side. Note the penultimate section on Compatibility. 

If you copy your old gedcom to your new computer (e.g. desktop or some other folder) it will most likely find it during the installation and setup process. Just make sure you have the backup copy on a usb that is not plugged in to this computer. In case your gedcom isn't found during this phase it is a simple process to use the Import option under the File tab when the programme opens.

Bruce.

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks. That's something I'll definitely try. But it will have to wait a few days.
I'll let  you know how I get on
Regards

Offline gbuttery

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D :D
Thank you so much for all your help, particularly to Bruce!
I have just installed RootsMagic. I was a bit apprehensive as I'm still not totally sure whether the information I have on a memory stick is in GEDCOM or PAF format, but I thought I'd try. I needn't of worried. When you ask it to import files, FTM is one of the options.
I have it up and running with 20+years of work installed on it !!!
Need to play around a bit with it, but it doesn't look too different from the FTM.
Thanks again for one happy lady

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 October 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Really pleased for you Gill; the thought of losing years of work is frightening. Hope you like Rootsmagic - let us know - I might even change myself  ;D