Author Topic: Need help to follow Mary McEwen  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Need help to follow Mary McEwen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 15 October 17 13:36 BST (UK) »
The 1871 census has her as 'May' on Ancestry but 'Mary' on FindMyPast BUT the latter also shows her as married!
::) Classic. The transcriptions are unreliable, and FintryGirl needs to look at the original on SP).

FWIW the index on SP lists
John McEwen 60
Henrietta McEwen 50
Hugh McEwen 27
Mary McEwen 25
James McEwen 13
Henrietta McEwen 11
Charles McEwen 4
James Wallace 1
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 October 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Well done Annette. I looked at that Mcewan/Willis marriage as well but wasn't as clever as you at finding the possible birth of James.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 October 17 13:48 BST (UK) »
Gro have a birth of Mary Jane Willis mmn mcEwen  in June quarter 1867 in Liverpool. This could well be Jessie.

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Our Home in Fintry - The one past Mom & her dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 October 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
HI All, thanks for the help. I did find them in the census for 1851, got it off Scotlands People, did not know there was a free place to look for census, so thanks for that. The only Mary McEwen I could find marrying a Wallace was to a Donald Wallace in 1889, my Mary would have been 46, so don't think it's her. I do think the 1871 census is correct, could  not find them in 1861 or 1881. John McEwen died 1886. Still on the hunt for Mary, as there has to be something to the story that she died from wounds she received nursing in Ladysmith south Africa after the Boer War so that would have been after the siege, so maybe 1899 to 1902, it was in the Daily Express,Would that be a Glasgow paper?  But can't research  without a last name. I'm getting all this information from my mother's journal, so just trying to build on the little information I have.
Meffen, McEwan, Eggleton, Bryson, Gray, Cobb

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 October 17 15:30 BST (UK) »
HI All, thanks for the help. I did find them in the census for 1851, got it off Scotlands People, did not know there was a free place to look for census, so thanks for that.
Yes, FreeCEN is very useful, and it is more accurate than any of the commercial sites, but it is very far from complete, and errors have been known.

There is no substitute for viewing the original document!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 October 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
I did get this from SP couldn't attach as file too large, it does look like my family,,yes it does show Mary as being married but no last name for her other than McEwan. Tried then to follow any of them to 1881 census as Henrietta did not die until 1898 and John 1886 no luck.  But I did find further in my mother's journal. That Mary did die in Africa but still no last name. Tried to follow even James Wallace with  no luck.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 October 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Forfarian has already given you the 1881 census entries for Henrietta and John ( they were in different places). In 1891 Henrietta is with her daughter and son in law, Edward and Henrietta Eggleton in Barony ( 6 Tillie Street). She is down as Henriatta McEwan on Ancestry age 65 born Loch Kaltrine Perthshire.
Isobel

Offline FintryGirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 October 17 21:46 BST (UK) »
Found this photo of the Gravestone, shows Mary is buried in South Africa, still no last name grrrrr....

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Surely if she was married they would have put her married name on the gravestone as well as her maiden name?