Author Topic: Remarkably quick wedding  (Read 1552 times)

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Remarkably quick wedding
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 October 17 22:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the very helpful replies so far and my apologies for getting the dates mixed up. As has now been pointed out, the date of both the ship's arrival and the marriage was 30th and not 22nd October 1907 (and not 2007!).

I ploughed through a good portion of the ship’s manifest and couldn’t find Edward. Then I looked at the alternate page of the ship’s manifest for Effie and it shows her destination as husband Edward Field at 336 West 22nd Street in New York. So it looks as if he was waiting for her in New York and therefore not married on voyage. There is an entry across columns 19-24 of the manifest which looks like “Disc to husb” but I’m not sure what “Disc” indicates or whether it is relevant anyway.

How do I get to see the actual certificate to show where the ceremony took place? Or do I take it that this would not have been available until the following year?

As for Edward, I had his entry in 1901  in Huddersfield, so have looked for his immigration to the USA, including via Canada, between then and 1907 but without any success., so it looks as if that will remain an unknown.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
I think Disc means discharged.

You would need to order the marriage certificate.  Information on doing so is here - http://www1.nyc.gov/site/records/historical-records/order.page  The certificate number is 27628 as shown here - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24HY-GDT - and on the bride's index at www.italiangen.org.  Certificates were available then - it's licenses that weren't required until 1908.

Offline PAK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 October 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
OK - many thanks to all who have helped on this. I can see the way forward now. There will probably be more questions about later generations but not unless, and until, I have exhausted all the channels I can think of to do it for myself.