Author Topic: Shornecliffe Camp records  (Read 594 times)

Offline jajaja

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shornecliffe Camp records
« on: Saturday 14 October 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Sarah Adeline Jones was born at Shornecliffe Camp, Cheriton, Kent, in 1866. Her father was a soldier (I don't know what regiment). I am unable to find any record of her birth in the England births register. Her mother was Mary Belinda Jones. I've tried British Nationals Armed Forces Births 1761-2005 but nothing comes up.  I am at a bit of a loss now so any advice would be very welcome. Thanks!

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shornecliffe Camp records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
I can't see her in the Armed Forces births , but there is this registration in Elham , which is the right District :

3Q 1866 Elham 2a 784 Sarah A Jones

Checking this on GRO gives her name as Sarah Adelaide Jones , mother's name Murphy.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
I think your Sarah Adeline married John Henry Grace in Fermoy in 1884 ? Her mother , Mary Belinda jones is on the 1901 census with the Grace family, born about 1841 in Clononlly, Ireland ?
If the Elham birth is the right one Sarah's mother was Mary Belinda Murphy. This may be her marriage :

Mary Belinda Murphy and William Jones , Fermoy 1865 v19 p377

Offline jajaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:57 BST (UK) »
I think your Sarah Adeline married John Henry Grace in Fermoy in 1884 ? Her mother , Mary Belinda jones is on the 1901 census with the Grace family, born about 1841 in Clononlly, Ireland ?
If the Elham birth is the right one Sarah's mother was Mary Belinda Murphy. This may be her marriage :

Mary Belinda Murphy and William Jones , Fermoy 1865 v19 p377

Thank you very much - yes, you have the right people, and Mary would have married in Fermoy in about 1865.  I would really appreciate knowing where you found this information - I am fairly new to this and must be searching in the wrong places. I know from other info that William Jones was a soldier, but have no idea which regiment, and I would love to find more info about him.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 October 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
The birth for Sarah A Jones in 1866 is listed in the England & Wales Index. You can check the details on the GRO website which gives the mother's maiden name:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
( You need to register and then checking the index is free ).

I presume you already have the 1901 census ? It's available on all the pay sites or free on familysearch : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X953-2VY

I found the Mary Belinda Murphy marriage on a pay site but you can search the irish genealogy site for free:https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ . You just have to register to search. Sometimes you are able to see the certificate but in this case I couldn't. If you order a copy it should help you find out a bit more. There may be a service record for William Jones but you really need a rough idea of birthplace and date to distinguish him from the many soldiers with that name.

Hope this helps.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 October 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
Pretty tenuous but the only regiment I can find that was in Fermoy in mid 1865 and then Shornecliffe in mid 1866 was the 18th Regiment of Foot.  No records though for a William Jones of the 18th at the right time - not surprising as records were routinely disposed of back in the day.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 October 17 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hello jajaja. I have nothing to add to your genealogical research. However, the middle name of your ancestor caught my eye. Adeline is a character in a BBC Radio 4 drama serial called "Home Front" set in Folkestone during WW1. Her son is a professional soldier, training at Shornecliffe Camp at the beginning of the war. I'd never come across the name Adeline before. Adeline in the drama serial was born late 1860s-early 1870s. I wonder if the person choosing characters' names saw your ancestor's birth or baptism record. Adeline is a distinctive character. She's an artist. Her son was born out of wedlock. She was sent to an asylum for 20 years and her son was told his mother was dead.
Cowban

Offline jajaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, Christine53, this is really useful information.
The birth for Sarah A Jones in 1866 is listed in the England & Wales Index. You can check the details on the GRO website which gives the mother's maiden name:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
( You need to register and then checking the index is free ).

I presume you already have the 1901 census ? It's available on all the pay sites or free on familysearch : https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X953-2VY

I found the Mary Belinda Murphy marriage on a pay site but you can search the irish genealogy site for free:https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/ . You just have to register to search. Sometimes you are able to see the certificate but in this case I couldn't. If you order a copy it should help you find out a bit more. There may be a service record for William Jones but you really need a rough idea of birthplace and date to distinguish him from the many soldiers with that name.

Hope this helps.

Offline jajaja

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 October 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm.... I'll look up their movements and see if it links with events later in her timeline.

Pretty tenuous but the only regiment I can find that was in Fermoy in mid 1865 and then Shornecliffe in mid 1866 was the 18th Regiment of Foot.  No records though for a William Jones of the 18th at the right time - not surprising as records were routinely disposed of back in the day.

MaxD