Author Topic: ONeills Tyrone  (Read 2008 times)

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ONeills Tyrone
« on: Sunday 15 October 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
I have researched NLI Parish Clonoe  Tyrone and found a baptism for my ggrandfather  Thomas ONeill march 1834  and now have  a copy of the certificate sent to me Parents Thomas ONeill  Isabella Campbell  the first 2 children b Bernard ONeill  1830  and Jane Neil ( ONeill)  b 1831 mother is listed  as Ally Campbell where would I find more info about them , a Bernard m a Tersia ONeill1856  and listed   in  the 1900 census are the wrong ones have checked this out No info on Jane.     Isabella Campbell is a sponsor at a marriage  Parish of Clonoe 1823 ,she would have to be over the age of 16 and a Roman Catholic   her possible b date has to be around 1807 or less ;no info on her again ,Thomas her husband and father of the   3  children would have been b about 1800 or there abouts . NO marriage for them is on the Armagh Catholic Archives data base  covers Tyrone Louth Armagh  all this has been checked out  . Did the bride usually marry in her parish I  need help on this .Thomas came to NZ 1856 65th Regiment  land wars  stayed and had family here .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ONeills Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 17 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat.
Marriages usually took place in bride's parish.
Are you assuming that Isabella Campbell who married Thomas O'Neill was the same Isabella who witnessed a marriage in 1823? There may have been more than 1 Isabella. Possibly related, possibly not.
Were Thomas O'Neill & Ally Campbell the parents of Bernard and Jane? The father may have been a different Thomas O'Neill.
BTW sponsor is for baptism. There was no age requirement for a sponsor at a Catholic baptism in earlier times. A sponsor had to fulfil certain religious criteria and be old enough to understand the significance of the ceremony. A child aged 10-16 may have been considered a suitable sponsor, all things considered.  Rules and customs varied according to country and time.
Cowban

Offline jananne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 17 07:44 BST (UK) »
Yes they are the one and same person  not assuming  at all , we have that information ,but don't know what parish Isabella came from to find a marriage.
The Parents Thomas ONeill  Isabella  (Ally )Campbell are their 3 children   spellings  by the priests when putting entries did get things a bit wrong   the townland was Annaghboe   or Annaghmore Parish of Clonoe many ONeills 80 and Campbells 60 on a census at the time ., I have done much research not new to it . Ally   Isabella's   brother was a William Campbell , I wouild like to find this part of my family ggrandparents.

Offline Vita Brevis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 July 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Stradie, I have sent you a pm.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 10:23 BST (UK) »
test message to check email notifications are working correctly - they are :)

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KWIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 October 19 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hello

I’ve had a look in my files as I’ve been doing some of the same mapping on the O’Neills in this area.

I found my notes on Thomas O’Neill and Isabella Campbell.  I couldn’t get back any further with them, but they had another possible child in 1827

Ellen O’Neill baptised 24 Feb 1827, sponsors Owen, Margaret McClean. Clonoe, Father Thomas, mother Elz Campbell.

Out of interest do you know if Isabella Campbell has a sister called Eleanor? 

Offline KWIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 October 19 22:10 BST (UK) »
Eleanor Campbell came from Mousetown, Clonoe (born about 1807).

She was married to a Hugh O’Neill.  I’ve not found the marriage certificate to date.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 October 19 22:17 BST (UK) »

All known copies of records are shown if one clicks on

You may be able to find more information on registers for this parish at:

Irish Ancestors
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.