Author Topic: Recommendation of life in Ireland circa 1900  (Read 1250 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recommendation of life in Ireland circa 1900
« on: Sunday 15 October 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am in the process of doing my maternal family tree of Irish ancestory. However, I want more than just a chart I want to add a narrative of what their lives were like. Can anyone recommend a source I can use to research this. I'm interested in particular about their diet, what they did for recreation, how they travelled around (transport). I have read that the working week of a mother was almost a pre-ordained tradition of Monday was washing day another was ironing or is this urban myth.  I am not looking for history book history but real life experience. Am I making sense?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendation of life in Ireland circa 1900
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 October 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
You haven't said what county your ancestors lived in nor what their occupation was, nor whether they were rural or town dwellers. That can all be relevant to their daily routine. But wherever they came from, I'd suggest you contact the local studies section of the nearest big library in that county. They usually have plenty of material that describe life in the 19th century. They usually also have local newspapers which can be a fascinating source for descriptions of everyday life.
Elwyn

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 October 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
You haven't said what county your ancestors lived in nor what their occupation was, nor whether they were rural or town dwellers. That can all be relevant to their daily routine. But wherever they came from, I'd suggest you contact the local studies section of the nearest big library in that county. They usually have plenty of material that describe life in the 19th century. They usually also have local newspapers which can be a fascinating source for descriptions of everyday life.
Elwyn yes of course the background is essential. They were living in rural part of Co. Waterford before moving to the city. They had been tenant farmers but at the turn of the century (1900's) the children began to move to Waterford City. From conversations years ago my mother said they kept in touch. Problem here is that I am living in England so I need some remote access to research material,

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
If you have the townland where they lived when rural dwellers even if they had moved by the time of Griffith's Valuation you could try people living in that area in the Translator (rural life changed very slowly)
http://www.townlandvaluationtranslator.com/
this gives an idea of the type of crops grown etc. you can read about it here http://www.irishgenealogynews.com/2016/10/the-new-townland-valuation-translator.html
Link to Griffith's Valuation
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/